We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Edit value not persisted when mouse is dragged while clicking out of edit box

Hi there,

Our users are complaining about a bug in the MVC TreeGrid, and I am hoping you can give me some assistance.

When RowEditing is turned on, and the number of rows in the grid is such that the grid scrolls vertically (and the scroll bar appears), the following bug occurs.
Please try performing these exact steps:
1. Double click a cell.
2. Enter a new value in that cell.
3. Press the mouse button down on a different row, and without releasing the button, drag up or down slightly to scroll the grid.
4. Release the mouse button.

You will notice that the edit is lost - the value in the grid reverts back to what it was, and also, any custom formatting created by using QueryCellInfo is lost also, because the handler defined with the QueryCellInfo client side event is not called again.

You can see this in action on your own demo grid: http://mvc.syncfusion.com/demos/web/treegrid/treegridlocalbinding
However, I have also attached a project where you can see that the custom QueryCellInfo formatting is lost as well.  Please note - I had to remove the Content/ej and Scripts/ej folders from the zip file as it made it just too big.

I don't believe this is expected behaviour.  Can you please look into this, and tell me if there is any way this behaviour can be corrected?  Several users have reported this and they aren't happy about it.

Ideally you could tell me how to stop the grid scrolling when you drag the mouse - I don't really like this behaviour and there is no obvious way to turn it off.  If we could turn it off, then that would hopefully fix the problem of the edit  value and formatting being lost.

Regards,
Matthew

Attachment: TreeGridEditFailure2_3a99b589.zip

5 Replies

JD Jayakumar Duraisamy Syncfusion Team April 10, 2017 01:17 PM UTC

Hi Matthew, 
We regret for the inconvenience caused. 

In TreeGrid, when mouse down on content and perform drag action then it will scroll the content and  we are cancelled the unsaved row/column values on scroll action is the current behavior. As per many customer request, we are planned to modify our behavior as to stop scrolling when drag a content by mouse interactions. 

But, we can able to reproduce the issue “queryCellInfo” event not triggered when cancel the row editing. Hence, we have logged issue report for this. The behavior change and fix for the issue will be included in our upcoming Volume 2 main release which will be available at the end of April 2017. 

Please let us know if you require further assistance on this. 
Regards, 
Jayakumar D 

MG Matthew Gordon April 11, 2017 03:03 AM UTC

Thanks.
I personally feel that the edit value should persist, and *then* the grid should start scrolling.
I don't see why scrolling the grid should cause the edit to cancel and the value to revert back to its previous value.
But thanks for the reply, we shall await the new release this month.
Matthew

JD Jayakumar Duraisamy Syncfusion Team April 12, 2017 11:30 AM UTC

Hi Matthew, 

Thanks for the update. 

In TreeGrid, it is not possible to save the edited changes while scrolling the content and the edited changes will be cancelled if we scroll the content. We need to save the edit changes using mouse click action or toolbar save option before scrolling the content and this is the default behavior in Grid if we enable virtual rows for rendering. 

But as we said earlier in our previous update, we will fix the content scrolling issue during mouse drag actions and an issue with “queryCellInfo” event not triggered when cancel the row editing. This behavior changes will be included in our upcoming volume 2 main release which will be available at the end of April 2017. 

Please let us know if you require further assistance on this. 
Regards, 
Jayakumar D 

MG Matthew Gordon April 12, 2017 07:38 PM UTC

That's a well thought out and easy to understand reply, thanks.

JS Jonesherine Stephen Syncfusion Team April 13, 2017 07:43 AM UTC

Hi Matthew, 
Thanks for your update. 
Please let us know if you need further assistance on this. 
Regards, 
Jone sherine P S 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon