We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Grid column filter placeholder

Is it currently impossible (without custom template, at least) to put placeholder in the grid column filter?

3 Replies

VA Venkatesh Ayothi Raman Syncfusion Team February 8, 2017 10:10 AM UTC

Hi Alex, 
Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support. 
We have prepared the sample based on your requirement which can be download from following link, 

In this sample, we have put place holder for each filter column by using Grid create event. This event triggers after Grid control created. Please refer to the following code example and Help document for more information, 
Code example
@Grid 
<ej-grid #grid  [dataSource]="gridData" [allowPaging]="true" [allowFiltering]="true"  [toolbarSettings.toolbarItems]="['add', 'edit', 'delete','cancel','update']" [toolbarSettings.showToolbar]="true" (toolbarClick)="selectColumn($event)"  (create)="create($event)"
 <e-columns>         
       . . . 
    </e-columns> 
</ej-grid> 

@create event 

export class AppComponent { 

//Create event 
            create(args:any){ 

var length = $(".e-filtertext").length; 
                for( var i=0;i<length;i++){ 
                    var placeholderVal = args.model.columns[i].field +" "+"Value"; //placeholder text (for demonstration purpose we have used the corresponding column field name as placeholder)    
                 $(".e-filtertext").eq(i).attr("placeholder",placeholderVal); //Set the placeholder for each filter column 

} 
            } 

Screenshot

If we misunderstood your query, then could you please share the more information about your requirement? 

Regards, 
Venkatesh Ayothiraman. 

AM Abhinay Maurya August 21, 2020 10:35 AM UTC

I want to add Placeholder for Search/Filter in ej2-angular-grids
https://stackblitz.com/edit/6w1wnu--run?embed=1&file=main.ts

I want to add Placeholder for each column of the grid.

Framework: Angular 8

BS Balaji Sekar Syncfusion Team August 24, 2020 04:48 PM UTC

Hi Abhinay,  

Greetings from the Syncfusion support. 

We have validated your query with provided the information and we have achieved the placeholder binding in Search toolbar item, Filterbar using dataBound event of Grid. Please refer the below code example and sample for more information. 

[app.component.ts] 
dataBound() {     
    if (this.isInitial) { 
    // Set the placeholder to Search toolbar item      
 var search = this.grid.element.querySelector(".e-toolbar-items .e-input"); 
      if (search.getAttribute("type") == "search") { 
        search.placeholder = "Search a value" 
      } 
    // Set the placeholder in all the column’s filterbar 
      var filterbar = this.grid.element.querySelector(".e-filterbar").children; 
      [].slice.call(filterbar).forEach((item) => { 
        var field = item.querySelector("input.e-input").id.split("_")[0]; 
        item.querySelector("input.e-input").placeholder = "Enter the " + field; 
      }) 
    } 
  } 

Please get back to us, if you need further assistance. 

Regards, 
Balaji Sekar 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon