We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Multi-column AutoComplete is not showing any items

I am trying to implement a multi-column AutoComplete. My first attempt with my own code and models was not showing with any items even though I expected it to. So, I then copied one the examples in your documentation but am still not able to see any items in the AutoComplete. This is the exapmple that I used, https://help.syncfusion.com/aspnetmvc/autocomplete/multicolumn. It says that it uses a datasource from another example, "@*Refer to the DataSource defined in Local Databinding Step 1 *@". So, I went to AutoComplete->Data Binding->Local Data to get the code for the data source in that example, https://help.syncfusion.com/aspnetmvc/autocomplete/data-binding. I used that same C# code to populate the object for the data source but the only difference is I assigned/used a property on my view model to hold it instead of the ViewBag. When I run this example, no matter what I type in the AutoComplete, I always am getting "No Results". I then thought that I would set this property on the AutoComplete to see what items were being rendered, ".ShowPopupButton(true)", so that I could click the magnifying glass image to see the items as a drop down. But, when I did this there were, I would estimate, the same amount of rows as items in my dataset. But, each column was blank and there were 84 columns I think, when there only should have been two, and there werenot the proper column headings as defined in the razor. The column headings were "column1", "column2", etc., up to 84. I am pasting my copied* example code. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong that is causing me to not see any items?

*The razor in the example was missing the ".Render()". I have added that. The razor in the example listed the field names in camel case. I have changed them to upper case.

Razor
--------
 @{
            Html.EJ().Autocomplete("autocomplete")
                .Datasource(Model.Cars)
                .MultiColumnSettings(obj => obj.Enable(true).Columns(obj1 =>
                {
                    obj1.Field("UniqueKey").HeaderText("Unique Key").Add();
                    obj1.Field("Text").HeaderText("Text").Add();
                }).ShowHeader(true).StringFormat("{0} ({1})")).Render();
        }

C# Controller
----------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
Model in example
public class CarsList
{
    public int UniqueKey { get; set; }
    public string Text { get; set; }
}

Property in view model
public List<CarsList> Cars { get; set; }

Object that is assigned to the property on the view model
var cars = new List<CarsList>();
cars.Add(new CarsList { UniqueKey = 1, Text = "Audi S6" });
cars.Add(new CarsList { UniqueKey = 2, Text = "Austin-Healey" });
cars.Add(new CarsList { UniqueKey = 3, Text = "Alfa Romeo" });
cars.Add(new CarsList { UniqueKey = 4, Text = "Aston Martin" });

3 Replies

AP Arun Palaniyandi Syncfusion Team December 14, 2016 12:10 PM UTC

Hi Jason,    
Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support. 
We were unable to reproduce the mentioned issue with multi-column Autocomplete, using the shared code snippet. Hence, we have now prepared a sample by using the view model and bind data source using Model. Please find the below code snippet. 
[Model] 
public class CarsList 
    { 
        public int UniqueKey { get; set; } 
        public string Text { get; set; } 
        public string company { get; set; } 
    } 

public class Viewmodel 
    { 
        public List<CarsList> Cars { get; set; } 
    } 

[Controller] 
var cars = new List<CarsList>(); 

cars.Add(new CarsList { UniqueKey = 1, Text = "Audi S6" });               
            cars.Add(new CarsList { UniqueKey = 36, Text = "Saab Sportcombi" }); 

Viewmodel obj = new Viewmodel(); 

obj.Cars = cars; 

return View(obj); 
[View] 
@Html.EJ().Autocomplete("selectcar").Width("50%").Datasource((IEnumerable<SyncfusionMVC.Models.CarsList>)Model.Cars).MultiColumnSettings(obj => obj.Enable(true).Columns(obj1 => 
{ 
    obj1.Field("UniqueKey").HeaderText("Unique Key").Add(); 
    obj1.Field("Text").HeaderText("Text").Add(); 
}).ShowHeader(true).StringFormat("{0} ({1})")).ShowPopupButton(true) 

Please refer our attached sample below for further reference: 

Regards, 
Arun P 

JN Jason Nichols December 14, 2016 03:00 PM UTC

I copied the code that you put in the reply into my project and still got that same results (not able to see any items). But, I then opened your attached sample and it correctly showed the results. So, it must be something in my project that is conflicting and causing it to not work. I am going to compare your provided example with my project to see if I can notice the differences. Thanks for the example. I will try to report back if I find anything.

AP Arun Palaniyandi Syncfusion Team December 15, 2016 09:47 AM UTC

Hi Jason,     

Thanks for the update.  

We will wait to hear from you. 

Please let us know, if you have any queries.  

Regards, 
Arun P 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon