We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

How to use this SF Calender Control as a picker

Hi,

I would love to use this control as a picker since it has the features to navigate from the current date to an older date say 16 years ago. Using the default Xamarin Date Picker is tedious to select that date.

Please let me know if we can use this calender control as a popup to select a date and fill a text box with this selected date.

I would also love to use an icon next to the text box and pop up this control on tapping the icon.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

10 Replies

RG Rajkumar Ganesamoorthy Syncfusion Team August 25, 2016 12:00 PM UTC

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support.

Currently Xamarin don’t have any inbuilt Popup control to show other controls and also Syncfusion do not have Popup control to show our SfCalendar control. So we have created the workaround to meet your requirement. In that workaround we have created custom Popup view, with which we have displayed our SfCalendar control in Popup and opened that Popup in button (Which is next to Entry) click event. When we select the date from calendar the selected date gets displayed in Entry and Popup get closed. Please find the sample from the below location.

Sample: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/125552/ze/Forum125552Testing1813389277 
Please let us know whether the above sample meets your requirement or not.

Regards,
Rajkumar G  

RA Rajesh August 25, 2016 06:04 PM UTC

Hi Rajkumar,

Thanks for your help and it was a nice work around to make use of this calendar control.

However I noticed a shortcoming in this control.

I am able to select only for the year 2016 and not beyond. Tapping on the month in the header of the calendar shows the entire year 2016 and I am able to select any month for the year 2016.

But I want to move beyond 2016 i.e. any year prior to 2016. This is needed since I need to enter the date of birth of the candidate. Tapping on the year does not show the previous 70 years so that I can drill down to another year and then select the month and then select the date.

Please advice how to set the parameter for this calendar control in the popup.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

RG Rajkumar Ganesamoorthy Syncfusion Team August 26, 2016 07:02 AM UTC

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your update.

We have checked your requirement from our side. In our current implementation we don't have support for year selection. So we have considered this as feature and it will be available in any of our upcoming release, meanwhile we suggest you to use vertical scrolling in year view to navigate one year to other in year view.

Regards,
Rajkumar G

RA Rajesh August 26, 2016 07:20 AM UTC

Hi Rajkumar,

Thanks for your reply.

I am fine with using vertical scrolling for navigating to the previous year. But the issue is that the vertical scrolling DOES NOT WORK AT ALL when the view is in yearview.

As a result, I am unable to navigate to the previous year. Can you please tell me how to navigate to the previous year when the view is Year view by using vertical scrolling.

I even tried with the samples of Essential Studio from Google Play. Even there the vertical scrolling for the year does not allow you to go back to the previous year. It works only when the view is set to monthview.

Thanks,

Rajesh

RA Rajesh replied to Rajesh August 26, 2016 07:45 AM UTC

Hi Rajkumar,

Thanks for your reply.

I am fine with using vertical scrolling for navigating to the previous year. But the issue is that the vertical scrolling DOES NOT WORK AT ALL when the view is in yearview.

As a result, I am unable to navigate to the previous year. Can you please tell me how to navigate to the previous year when the view is Year view by using vertical scrolling.

I even tried with the samples of Essential Studio from Google Play. Even there the vertical scrolling for the year does not allow you to go back to the previous year. It works only when the view is set to monthview.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Hi,

In addition to enabling scrolling vertically in year view is there any possibility to show the left and right arrows to give a hint to the customer that he can tap on the left arrow to go to the previous years and the right arrow to go to the next years.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

RG Rajkumar Ganesamoorthy Syncfusion Team August 29, 2016 09:01 AM UTC

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your update.

We have checked your reported issue from our side. But we were unable to reproduce the reported issue. We have attached video (which we have checked from our side) for your reference. Could you please provide more details like in which device did you get the reported issue that will be help us to provide an appropriate solution. Please find the attached video from the following location:

Video:VerticalScrollingTesting

We have also added navigation buttons in month view to navigate current year to previous or next year. please find the updated sample from the following location.

Sample:Forum125552Testing

Regards,
Rajkumar G

RA Rajesh August 29, 2016 01:46 PM UTC

Hi,

Thanks for the video and the updated sample. I was confused about vertical scrolling with horizontal scrolling. Naturally at first sight when the user uses the left and right arrow on the month view to navigate to previous and next month, the same instinct comes to mind that the year will work in the same way <-- and --> instead of scrolling upwards and downwards. Placing the buttons in the popup control is a good idea since it can be replaced with icons to give the look and feel to move backwards and forward when in year view.

Comparing the video which was rendered on iPhone with that in Android, I noticed the following differences. Is that by default or can it be changed. I am attaching the screen shots from my device and also a screen shot of the view in the video.

The differences are

1. The header where the month name and year number is visible is too large in Android. Can it be reduced in size. As a result the button with N is not visible. Please refer to the attachment.

2. The scrolling of the year can be seen in iPhone but in android the numbers change in the header. Can we get that scrolling effect where the years are seen below each other or is it the default behavior on the Android platform.

3. The words of the days of the week seems to be hidden. Can this be aligned to give space below the words.

4. Does this popup center in the grid or the screen irrespective of the size of the grid. The controls seems to be misaligned with the white background. I would like this control to center the screen irrespective of the control placement since the screen will have various controls and the calendar should be modal when it is visible.

Thanks

Rajesh.

Attachment: Reduce_HeightHeader_21ae5073.rar

RG Rajkumar Ganesamoorthy Syncfusion Team August 30, 2016 12:02 PM UTC

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your update.

Query 1: The header where the month name and year number is visible is too large in Android. Can it be reduced in size.

We have provided support for set Calendar Header height in our upcoming release Volume 2 SP2 which will be available by this week. We will update you once our service pack is released so that you can upgrade to have the feature.

Query 2: The scrolling of the year can be seen in iPhone but in android the numbers change in the header. Can we get that scrolling effect where the years are seen below each other or is it the default behavior on the Android platform.

This is the expected behavior of calendar control in Android platform. In our current implementation we don’t have support for scrolling effect in year view for Android platform.

Query3: The words of the days of the week seems to be hidden. Can this be aligned to give space below the words.

We have fixed this issue internally. The fix for this issue will be available in our upcoming release Volume 2 SP2 which will be available by this week. We will update you once our service pack is released so that you can upgrade to have the feature.

Query 4: Does this popup center in the grid or the screen irrespective of the size of the grid. The controls seems to be misaligned with the white background. I would like this control to center the screen irrespective of the control placement since the screen will have various controls and the calendar should be modal when it is visible.

We have modified our last updated sample to meet your requirement. In this sample we have aligned popup control as center of the screen instead of bottom of control. Please find the sample from the below location

Sample: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/125552/ze/Forum125552Testing-1961090494.zip 

Regards,
Rajkumar G  

RA Rajesh August 31, 2016 03:48 AM UTC

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all the assistance. I will be waiting for the Service pack to change the height of the header.

Appreciate all the discussions in this thread to make good use of this Calender control.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

HM Hemalatha Marikumar Syncfusion Team September 1, 2016 04:05 AM UTC

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your update.

We are glad to announce that our Essential Studio Volume 2 Service Pack 2, 2016 (Version 14.2.0.32) is rolled out and is available for download under the following link.

https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/125638/essential-studio-2016-volume-2-service-pack-release-v14-2-0-32-available-for-download

We thank you for your support and appreciate your patience in waiting for this release. Please get in touch with us if you would require any further assistance.

Regards,
Hemalatha M.R.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon