We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Blurry text in PdfViewer control.

Text in PdfViewer looks very blurry. It is clear, that ClearType is not used when drawing text as can be seen by screenshots. 
And probably you don't use
TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display" 
to display text.
I attached 3 screenshots. One from PdfViewer, another - from Acrobat Reader, and third one with them side by side.
Are there anything that can be done to solve this issue?

Attachment: BlurryText_44d9fb18.zip

25 Replies

BS Balasubramanian Sundararajan Syncfusion Team September 8, 2015 06:51 AM UTC

Hi Belikov,

Thanks for using Syncfusion product.

We have created an Direct Trac incident for the follow up of the fix for the issue “Texts looks blurry in PdfViewer control”. Please log on using the link below to track the incident.

https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login

Thanks,
Balasubramanian

SH Stefan H August 31, 2016 09:05 AM UTC

Hello,

I'm currently facing the same problem with version 14.2.0.26. Also the "Getting Started" sample for the PDF Viewer control is showing this behavior. So was this problem ever solved?

BS Balasubramanian Sundararajan Syncfusion Team September 1, 2016 01:08 PM UTC

Hi Stefan, 

We are using GDI rendering surface to render the page content of the PDF document, so the PDF document content quality may differ in different zoom values. We consider this as a behavior of PdfViewerControl. We have created a simple sample to demonstrate the same which renders the texts as a path in the Graphics. We are performing the same in our PDF Viewer control for the rendering of text elements. 

We could see similar quality loss in displaying the content in the sample, and it is the default behavior of GDI rendering.

Please find the sample in the following location:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/143790/ze/TextToPath-698218088

However, Can you please share us the PDF document in the forum if it does not contain any confidential data? 
Else kindly create a Direct Trac incident and share us the PDF document with which you are facing issue. It will be helpful for us to analyze more and assist you better on your query. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks, 
Balasubramanian S 

SH Stefan H September 1, 2016 04:25 PM UTC

Hi Balasubramanian,

I created an incident with a sample PDF file: https://www.syncfusion.com/support/directtrac/incidents/163178

The attached screenshot shows only a small portion of the PDF file, but you can clearly see a big difference in text quality. This is the 100% view in the "Getting Started" demo and as comparison an even slightly smaller zoom factor in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

While zooming definitely changes the quality, it always stays behind other PDF viewers. It's like the text gets rendered for the wrong size and the resulting image is scaled/stretched to the final size.

Attachment: pdfsidebyside_ae9ac945.zip

BS Balasubramanian Sundararajan Syncfusion Team September 2, 2016 11:54 AM UTC

Hi Stefan, 

Thank you for your information.  

Kindly follow up the incident for more details on your query. 

Thanks, 
Balasubramanian S 

MB Mark B May 4, 2017 12:17 PM UTC

Hi,

just changed the Assemblys from 14.4460.0.15 to 15.1460.0.41.

With Version 14.xxx the rendering was quite good, nearly Acrobat quality a bit slower in rendering time. Now with 15.xxx ist not usable anymore, see atached sidebyside Picture.

Best regards 
Mark

Attachment: pdf_sidebyside_dbeff23d.zip

SS Sathish Sivakumar Syncfusion Team May 5, 2017 11:15 AM UTC

Hi Mark, 

Thank you using Syncfusion products. 

We have internally fixed the issue “Degradation in rendering quality of PDF document in PdfViewer WPF in Essential Studio version 15.1.0.41 when compared with Essential Studio version 14.1.0.15”. This fix will be included in our main release Essential Studio 2017 volume 2 and it is expected to be available on the mid of May 2017. 

Please let us know if you need any other assistance. 

Regards, 
Sathish  

MG May Giltendez November 14, 2018 08:39 AM UTC

Hello,

Experienced the same degradation of PDF Preview using Syncfusion 16.1.0.24 for UWP. It is of low quality compared to when previewed using Adobe Reader.
I've read this has been fixed in Essential Studio 2017 volume 2. But version I'm using is more recent. Is there a known degrade again? Is issue addressed in a more recent build of Syncfusion than the version I used?

Please advise.

Thanks,
May

KK Karthik Krishnaraj Syncfusion Team November 15, 2018 10:52 AM UTC

Hi May, 

The fix we mentioned earlier for blurry issue is for PDF Viewer WPF platform. We haven’t moved any fix related to blurry text in UWP platform. Can you please share us the input document if it doesn’t have any confidential data? It will be helpful for us to analyze further and update more details. Also, can you confirm your current Essential Studio version? 

Regards, 
Karthik. 

MG May Giltendez November 16, 2018 04:55 AM UTC

Hi Karthik,

I just updated to Essential Studio for UWP 16.3.0.29. Same issue occurs.
I attached file I used. Also included screenshot of file opened in Adobe Reader vs using Syncfusion PdfViewer.
This also translates to printing. The printed results is also a bit blurry.
You can really notice that Adobe Reader has more crisp rendition of the file.

Can you check? 

Thanks,
May

Attachment: FoodDiarySampleAdobeReader_40d967ae.zip

KK Karthik Krishnaraj Syncfusion Team November 19, 2018 03:50 AM UTC

Hi May, 

We have rendered PDF pages as images using native rendering engine in our SfPdfViewer control UWP. The reported blur issue occurred while creating image from native control. Hence, we will consider this as a behavior of our control. I have shared the screenshot of the image which is rendered using native element. 

ScreenShot: 

Regards, 
Karthik. 

LO Lorne February 20, 2021 08:50 PM UTC

I am experiencing blurry text with the ASP.NET Core version of the PDFViewer.  I am using version 18.4.0.31.  (see attached photo) Is there any settings that can be tweaked to improve print quality when printing directly from the control?  The interesting part is, on screen the text quality looks very similar in Adobe Reader and in the viewer.  I figured at first it's just a printer setting, but I've tweaked all the settings I can find with no improvement.  Any ideas?

Attachment: blurrytext_108e87c5.zip

VS Vasugi Sivajothi Syncfusion Team February 22, 2021 11:17 AM UTC

Hi Lorne, 

We were able to reproduce the reported “printed PDF document content is blurry” issue. We will check further on this and update you with more details on February 24, 2021.   

Regards, 
Vasugi 

LO Lorne February 25, 2021 12:10 PM UTC

I really appreciate how you monitor these forums and always reply to questions.  I see this one has gone one day overdue, and I am quite anxious to get it resolved.  Do you have any updates yet?

DM Dhivyabharathi Mohan Syncfusion Team February 25, 2021 04:58 PM UTC

Hi Lorne, 

Currently we are checking on this with high priority. We will provide further details on March 3rd, 2021. 

Regards, 
Dhivya. 

VS Vasugi Sivajothi Syncfusion Team March 3, 2021 03:28 PM UTC

Hi Lorne      

Thank you for your patience.    

We will print the PDF document in default A4 size for all the page size documents, So the content in the document will gets scaled to fit it with in the size, so there may be some blurry in printing the PDF document and we are using the browser default printing settings to print the PDF document. So, we are currently checking on with high priority for improving the print clarity in our end and will update the further details on 5 match 2021. In the meanwhile, can you please share the PDF document which you have attached as image in the previous update, that would be helpful for us to analysis more and assist you better. 

Regards, 
Vasugi 

VS Vasugi Sivajothi Syncfusion Team March 5, 2021 01:28 PM UTC

Hi Lorne, 

Currently, we are analyzing for improving the print clarity in our PDF Viewer, so we will update the further details on 8 March 2021. 

Regards, 
Vasugi 

LO Lorne March 5, 2021 10:07 PM UTC

Here is a pdf generated by selecting pdfprinter output rather than printer output from your pdfviewer control.

Attachment: _CMABAConnect_880b338.zip

VS Vasugi Sivajothi Syncfusion Team March 9, 2021 09:03 AM UTC

Hi Lorne, 

Thanks for the update. 

We have confirmed that the reported issue is a defect, and the fix will be included on April 6th weekly Nuget release 2021.  

Regards, 
Vasugi 

LO Lorne March 10, 2021 11:53 AM UTC

Thanks for the update.

LO Lorne April 7, 2021 10:28 AM UTC

I updated my nuget libraries this morning, and recompiled.  I don't see any improvement yet on PDF quality.  Am I missing something, or did this not get included yet?

Attachment: 20210407_06_26_16CMABAConnect_(Running)__Microsoft_Visual_Studio_275398a3.zip

SM Selvakumar Murugan Syncfusion Team April 7, 2021 05:23 PM UTC

Hi Lorne, 

We have improved the print quality in our end . However the we are facing the report issue with the provided document which you have shared So we are currently checking on this and we will update further details on 9th April 2021. 

Regards,
Selvakumar 

DM Dhivyabharathi Mohan Syncfusion Team April 12, 2021 12:59 PM UTC

Hi Lorne, 

We have improved the print quality in PDF viewer control. We can’t able to replicate the reported issue. We have attached the screen shot for your reference. Kindly share your modified  sample or document to replicate the issue and revert to us if you have any doubts regarding this. 

Loaded document 
Printed document 

Regards, 
Dhivya. 

LI linkexin January 18, 2023 09:37 AM UTC

I updated my nuget libraries this morning, and recompiled.  I don't see any improvement yet on PDF quality.  

my version is 

It is still Blurry 

CK Chinnamunia Karthik Chinna Thambi Syncfusion Team January 23, 2023 12:05 PM UTC

We were unable to reproduce the reported issue with the provided details. We have shared the sample in which we have tried to reproduce the issue in the below link,

Sample: https://stackblitz.com/edit/eptwaj?file=index.js

We suspect it might be document specific. Kindly provide us with the document to investigate further on this issue. Also, share the screenshot of the reported issue. This will be helpful for us to analyze further and provide the details.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon