We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

ChromelessWindow control uses a lot of memory and CPU.

Hello,

I'm trying to work with the ChromlessWindow control but I noticed that when I run it my app uses a lot of extra ram and CPU. I replaced the ChromelessWindow control with a regular Window control and my app is stable at about 2.5% CPU and about 30MB of RAM. With the ChromelessWindow my app uses about 5% CPU and 80-100MB of RAM. This seems like a lot of CPU and memory usage for a simple class. I think it might have to do with the control loading all of the resource dictionaries for the skins but I'm not sure how to fix this. I really only need the Metro skin. Is there a way to use the ChromelessWindow control and load only the ResourceDictionaries that I want? Or is there another issue making this control use a lot of resources?

Thank you for the help,
Ebsan

10 Replies

MS Mariappan S Syncfusion Team May 11, 2015 11:55 AM UTC

Hi Ebsan,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

We have checked your reported issue in a simple sample by comparing MS Window and our ChromelessWindow. But, we can’t find much difference between ChromelessWindow and MS Window. Can you please provide more information about your issue and like whether you are using any other property or controls with ChromelessWindow as it would be very helpful to resolve your issue earlier?

Please download the sample from the following location:

Sample link: ChromelessWindowSample.zip

We have also attached the video to demonstrate the steps which we have followed to reproduce it. If the steps we have followed to reproduce the issue is not correct, please mention the correct steps.

Please download the video from the following link.

Video link: Video.zip

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Mariappan S.

EU Ebsan Uddin May 13, 2015 11:53 PM UTC

Hello Mariappan,

Thank you for the attached video. I'm placing some custom controls inside the window. I've attached an altered version of your sample app with two windows. MainWindow.xaml uses a ChromelessWindow and NormalWindow.xaml  used a regular WPF window. You'll notice that the normal window uses about half the CPU as the chromeless window. Should this be expected?

Attachment: ChromelessWindowSample_938c514c.zip

MS Mariappan S Syncfusion Team May 14, 2015 01:12 PM UTC

Hi Ebsan,

We have checked the reported issue in Window8.1 OS but we can’t find much different in between Syncfusion ChromelessWindow and MSWindow. Can you please share your environment details like OS, .NetFramework version and also Syncfusion product version which you are currently using. It would be very helpful for us to resolve your problem earlier

Regards,
Mariappan S.

EU Ebsan Uddin May 15, 2015 02:34 AM UTC

Hello,

I'm using a recent patch of the Syncfusion suite, v 13.1.0.21. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro and I've attached a couple of screenshots including my machine specs and the mem usage with the sample I attached with my previous reply.

Attachment: ChromelessWindowSampleCPUusage_422899b2.zip

MS Mariappan S Syncfusion Team May 15, 2015 01:24 PM UTC

Hi Ebsan,

We have used same environment which you have mention in the last update to reproduce the reported issue but we can’t find much different in between Syncfusion ChromelessWindow and MSWindow. We have attached the screenshotto show thedifference between our ChromelessWindow and MSWindow. Kindly update us whether we are missing any steps to reproduce this issue

Please download the screenshot from the below link.

Screenshot link: Screenshot.zip

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Mariappan S.

EU Ebsan Uddin May 16, 2015 07:24 PM UTC

Okay, I did a little more testing. So the ChromelessWindow seems to use a lot of CPU when it isn't minimized but you're focused on a different window. So for example, the chromelessWindow app uses around 10-12% CPU when it isn't minimized but I have my focus on the Task Manager. When I click on the ChromlessWindow to focus on it, the CPU percentage goes back down to a normal 2-4% CPU. Can you try to switch focus between the ChromelessWindow and another screen (without minimizing the ChromelessWindow) and see if you get the same high CPU usage?

Thank you again for looking into this issue for me. The app I am creating is mission critical and we need as much CPU cycles as we can to spare to data intensive operations. If the ChromelessWindow is using 4-6% more CPU than the MSWindow then we might have to switch out the window control.

MS Mariappan S Syncfusion Team May 18, 2015 05:21 PM UTC

Hi Ebsan,

We were able to reproduce the issue and have logged defect report regarding this. A support incident to track the status of this defect has been created under your account. Please log on to our support website to check for further updates

https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login?ReturnUrl=%2fsupport%2fdirecttrac%2fincidents

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Mariappan S.

DV Daryl Vertigan April 23, 2016 07:01 PM UTC

I would be interested in the progress of this.
Is one able to view (or vote for) said issue?

EU Ebsan Uddin replied to Daryl Vertigan April 23, 2016 09:28 PM UTC

I would be interested in the progress of this.
Is one able to view (or vote for) said issue?

Hello Daryl,

I put in the original post and Syncfusion has fixed the issue. They created a patch for it on June 15, 2015. So it should be fixed in the latest version. You should be able to click the link below and look at the issue and download the patch if you need it.

https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login?ReturnUrl=%2fsupport%2fdirecttrac%2fincidents

VR Venkateshwaran Ramdoss Syncfusion Team April 25, 2016 11:57 AM UTC

Hi Ebsan,

The reported issue has been fixed in our latest version 14.1.0.41. Please find the below link to download the latest version.

Link: http://syncfusion.com/forums/123633/essential-studio-2016-volume-1-release-v14-1-0-41-is-available-for-download  

Regards,
Venkateshwaran V.R.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon