We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Grid does not appear; all columns have a title 'Column29'

I am experimenting with syncfusion controls with a 4.5.1 vb project. When I add a grid and with a sql data source as it's datasource, all of the columns are titled 'Column29'. But a more important issue when the page is run the grid does not appear. If I place a standard asp.net grid on the page, using the same datasource, it loads automatically. I note some other posts here on this subject but not a resolution.

13 Replies

AS Alan Sangeeth S Syncfusion Team March 18, 2015 07:34 AM UTC

Hi Michael,

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

We are sorry to let you know that we are unable to reproduce the issue (“All columns are titled as Column29”) in our end. We have created a simple sample based on your requirement and the same can be downloaded from below link.

Sample: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/ASPVB1605786995.zip

In the above sample we have used AutoGenerate Column that would take all columns from sql datasource. Please refer the following code snippet and the output screenshot.

<ej:Grid ID="Grid" runat="server" AllowPaging="true" AllowSorting="true" DataSourceID="SqlData" >

<PageSettings PageSize="5" />

</ej:Grid>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlData" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:NORTHWNDConnectionString %>"

SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Orders]"></asp:SqlDataSource>

Output Screenshot:

And you have reported that “when the page is run the grid does not appear”, but also told that columns are titled as “Column29”. Could you please clarify us whether you are reporting that data not bound to Grid by mentioning “grid does not appear”.

Also could you please provide us the following information so that we could sort out the cause of the issue and provide you a response as early as possible?

• You Grid view page code snippets
  • Screenshot of issue
  • If possible, please replicate the issue in the above provided sample and send us back

Information provided would be great helpful for us to resolve your issue.

Please refer the following documentation regarding the dependencies of our Control.

http://help.syncfusion.com/ug/js/documents/addingthecssandscrip1.htm

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Alan Sangeeth S

SA Saddlebag March 23, 2015 02:04 AM UTC

Hi Alan

I wonder if my syncfusion install is complete broken. Controls like the syncfusion listbox and dropdown control offer only one item when I open the 'tasks' dialog: "default to master's content"?

I meant that in design view all columns are title Column29. If I go to the column properties dialog they are bound to the expected db columns, but the titles are all Column29.

I was using firefox - when I run it in IE I get this debug:

Unhandled exception at line 991, column 1 in http://localhost:55451/teammate.aspx
0x800a1391 - JavaScript runtime error: 'ej' is undefined

I am not able to run your sample application:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.4451.0.34, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 20:     <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true" targetFramework="4.5.1">
Line 21:       <assemblies>
Line 22:         <add assembly="Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.4451.0.34, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3D67ED1F87D44C89" />
Line 23:         <add assembly="System.Design, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
Line 24:         <add assembly="Syncfusion.EJ, Version=12.4451.0.34, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3D67ED1F87D44C89" />

Source File: D:\vs2013\projects\ASPVB\ASPVB\web.config    Line: 22

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.4451.0.34, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.4451.0.34, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = D:\vs2013\projects\ASPVB\ASPVB\bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\vs2013\projects\ASPVB\ASPVB\web.config
LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Users\MS\Documents\IISExpress\config\aspnet.config
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.4451.0.34, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.

Also, you mentioned setting up dependencies. I didn't do anything other than install the essential studio, and then add the grid control to a project.

On the css dependencies page, it says to copy all files to the content folder...I did that now, addings the bootstrap-theme folder and 15 other folders. However the instructions for the script dependencies are not possible to follow. The page http://help.syncfusion.com/ug/js/default.htm#!documents/scriptreferences1.htm says to copy the four files in <Installed Location>\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\12.2.0.36\JavaScript\assets\scripts\external but I don't have an 'external' folder there. C:\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\12.4.0.24\JavaScript\assets\scripts contains
common
datavisualization
moble
web
and a js file.

All in all it's pretty confusing! <g>

AS Alan Sangeeth S Syncfusion Team March 23, 2015 12:28 PM UTC

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update.

Query #: I wonder if my syncfusion install is complete broken.
Could you please confirm whether the product is installed in your system from Control panel. Does the local samples launched from Dashboard throws any script error or issue in rendering the controls? Also check whether the Syncfusion DLLs are shipped to the installed location below and the scripts/CSS files available in assets folder,

\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\\JavaScript\assets
\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\\precompiledassemblies\\4.5

Query #: Controls like the syncfusion listbox and dropdown control offer only one item when I open the 'tasks' dialog: "default to master's content"?
We are unable to reproduce the issue with DropDownList and ListBox controls that offer only one item. Also we are unable to understand your query that states “when I open the 'tasks' dialog: default to master's content”. Could you please explain us on what is the behavior of DropDownList and ListBox control occurs in your sample? We have also prepared a sample with these controls, ensure whether the issue reproduces in the shared sample or modify this sample and share it to reproduce issue at our end.

Sample can be downloaded from link below: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/DDList_f118533-1201921724.zip

Query 3: “in design view all columns are title Column29”
We are able to reproduce the issue “Columns are titled as ‘Column’ with a number that denotes the number of columns in Grid”. We considered this as bug and a support incident has been created under your account to track the status of this requirement. Please log on to our support website to check for further updates.
https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login?ReturnUrl=/support/directtrac/incidents

Query 4: “'ej' is undefined script error”
Please refer the following kb link to resolve this issue.
http://www.syncfusion.com/kb/4037/how-to-resolve-object-does-not-support-property-or-method-ejgrid-script-error

Query 5: “Could not load file or assembly 'Syncfusion.EJ.Web in sample provided”
In the last update we had provided the sample with latest version 12.4.0.34 but from the information you have shared we found that the Essential Studio version you have installed is 12.2.0.36 which is the cause of the issue.
We have modified the sample with your version and the same can be downloaded from below link.
Sample: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/ASPVB-2091720184.zip

Query 6: “Documentation issues with scripts path location”
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. The path location for the external scripts is given wrongly in the provided UG documentation link.

We have created Documentation task to correct this mistakes and please find the actual path of the external scripts location below
<Installed Location>\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\12.2.0.36\JavaScript\assets\external

Also please find the necessary scripts and css files below.

Syncfusion script files:
ej.web.all.min.js
ej.unobtrusive.min.js

External Script files:
jquery.min.js
jquery.easing.min.js
jquery.globalize.min.js
jsrender.min.js
jquery.validate.min.js

CSS files:
ej.widgets.all.min.css (that holds ej.widgets.core.min.css && ej.theme.min.css)

Regards,
Alan Sangeeth S

SA Saddlebag March 23, 2015 04:13 PM UTC

Good that you could reproduce the column name bug.

The local samples run from the dashboard - that's a good test.

By 'task' dialog I mean that little square that appear on most controls in design view, and which allows one to alter properties. And I see now that the dropdownlist does not offer any 'task' control point at all - the one I was seeing belongs to the content area, my mistake. The dropdownlist controls is essentially 'invisible' in design view, I can only see that it exists in code view.

I do find both of the folders you list
C:\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\12.4.0.24\JavaScript\assets
C:\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\12.4.0.24\precompiledassemblies\12.4.0.24\4.5

The syncfusion dashboard states that I have 12.4.0.24 installed; that's also what the windows control panel lists.

When I try to run your new sample app I get this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description:An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message:Could not load file or assembly 'Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.2451.0.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 20:     <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true" targetFramework="4.5.1">
Line 21:       <assemblies>
Line 22:         <add assembly="Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.2451.0.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3D67ED1F87D44C89" />
Line 23:         <add assembly="System.Design, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
Line 24:         <add assembly="Syncfusion.EJ, Version=12.2451.0.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3D67ED1F87D44C89" />

Source File:D:\vs2013\projects\ASPVB\ASPVB\web.config Line:22

Assembly Load Trace:The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.2451.0.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.2451.0.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = D:\vs2013\projects\ASPVB\ASPVB\bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\vs2013\projects\ASPVB\ASPVB\web.config
LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Users\MS\Documents\IISExpress\config\aspnet.config
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Syncfusion.EJ.Web, Version=12.2451.0.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/MS/AppData/Local/Temp/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/0a30b7df/756f751a/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/vs2013/projects/ASPVB/ASPVB/bin/Syncfusion.EJ.Web/Syncfusion.EJ.Web.EXE.

Version Information:Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34237

I have to take care of something else right now and will follow up on your other items.

GA Gurunathan A Syncfusion Team March 24, 2015 11:45 AM UTC

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing information with us.

Query : Local Samples throws error when launch from dashboard.

We suspect that, our Syncfusion assemblies are not installed properly in your GAC. So Kindly refer the following link to re-install the 12.4.0.24 assemblies in GAC using the Assembly manager:

http://help.syncfusion.com/ug/common/documents/assemblymanager.htm

And then try to launch the Sample browser from dashboard. If you get any error regarding ‘Autocomplete is ambiguous’ then try the following document to resolve the issue

http://www.syncfusion.com/kb/3355/how-to-eradicate-parse-error-autocomplete-is-ambiguous-in-the-namespace-syncfusion-javascript-web

Query: Attached sample throws error while running.

The sample which was attached in last update was in 12.4.0.36 version but you stated that, you have installed the 12.4.0.24 version in your machine. So kindly try the below sample once done the above steps.

We have prepared a simple sample with 12.4.0.24 version with Grid and Dropdown Control which is available in following link.

http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/ASPVB137339148.zip

Query : Design time issue with Dropdown control and Listbox control

We were unable to reproduce the reported error in design time. This may due to scripts are not loading properly from the Syncfusion.EJWEB assemblies. So Kindly try the solution for Query 1 and ensure with above attached sample. And also kindly ensure whether you have referred the dependent scripts and CSS properly in your page.

Kindly try the above steps and let us know whether the issue is resolved or not ?

Thanks,

Gurunathan

SA Saddlebag March 25, 2015 05:07 PM UTC

I rebuilt the assemblies; afterwards the local examples run fine just as they did before.

When I try to run the example app you created I get this error (that's an image below)

I appreciate your efforts to get this working. I am not sure why this is so hard...I assume your other users don't have these kinds of issues.

ES Ezhil S Syncfusion Team March 26, 2015 10:16 AM UTC

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We are able to reproduce the error with the sample and the reported error occurs because the referred Ajax script files are not available in the corresponding location. We have modified the sample by adding appropriate scripts in the referred location and this sample works fine at our end. Please download the modified sample from the link below and let us know if the issue still persist at your end.

http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/ASPVB_modified1910626388.zip

Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards,

Ezhil S

SA Saddlebag March 26, 2015 03:25 PM UTC

Yes the sample works this time.

I noted that one library that is imported in your sample was not listed in the script created when I added a grid to my own project. I added this line to make them the same;

<%@ Register Assembly="Syncfusion.EJ, Version=12.4450.0.24, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89" Namespace="Syncfusion.JavaScript.Web" TagPrefix="ej" %>

The project complies but still fails with this error

ES Ezhil S Syncfusion Team March 27, 2015 05:03 PM UTC

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update.

We suspect that the error reported will arise when “ej.web.all.min.js & ej.webform.min.js” file is not loaded properly in the webpage. Please ensure whether the scripts are loaded properly in the web page.

Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards,

Ezhil S

SA Saddlebag March 29, 2015 12:02 AM UTC

How do I check that?

I have to assume that someone somewhere that does not work for syncfusion is able to use these controls. I have used telerik devex and others without any issues like this so it's at least a bit confusing as to what the issue is here.

Can you provide a step by step guide to add the grid control to work with say northwind.mdb on a new asp.net 4.5.1 solution that starts as an empty web forms project?

SR Sellappandi Ramu Syncfusion Team March 30, 2015 02:07 PM UTC

Hi Michael,

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please refer the following document link for steps to create a new ASP.NET application for Grid controls by using 4.5.1 framework.

Document: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/Steps_To_Create_Grid-748689116.zip

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Sellappandi R

OG Oziel Guimarães replied to Alan Sangeeth S April 5, 2018 05:23 PM UTC

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update.

Query #: I wonder if my syncfusion install is complete broken.
Could you please confirm whether the product is installed in your system from Control panel. Does the local samples launched from Dashboard throws any script error or issue in rendering the controls? Also check whether the Syncfusion DLLs are shipped to the installed location below and the scripts/CSS files available in assets folder,

\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\\JavaScript\assets
\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\\precompiledassemblies\\4.5

Query #: Controls like the syncfusion listbox and dropdown control offer only one item when I open the 'tasks' dialog: "default to master's content"?
We are unable to reproduce the issue with DropDownList and ListBox controls that offer only one item. Also we are unable to understand your query that states “when I open the 'tasks' dialog: default to master's content”. Could you please explain us on what is the behavior of DropDownList and ListBox control occurs in your sample? We have also prepared a sample with these controls, ensure whether the issue reproduces in the shared sample or modify this sample and share it to reproduce issue at our end.

Sample can be downloaded from link below: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/DDList_f118533-1201921724.zip

Query 3: “in design view all columns are title Column29”
We are able to reproduce the issue “Columns are titled as ‘Column’ with a number that denotes the number of columns in Grid”. We considered this as bug and a support incident has been created under your account to track the status of this requirement. Please log on to our support website to check for further updates.
https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login?ReturnUrl=/support/directtrac/incidents

Query 4: “'ej' is undefined script error”
Please refer the following kb link to resolve this issue.
http://www.syncfusion.com/kb/4037/how-to-resolve-object-does-not-support-property-or-method-ejgrid-script-error

Query 5: “Could not load file or assembly 'Syncfusion.EJ.Web in sample provided”
In the last update we had provided the sample with latest version 12.4.0.34 but from the information you have shared we found that the Essential Studio version you have installed is 12.2.0.36 which is the cause of the issue.
We have modified the sample with your version and the same can be downloaded from below link.
Sample: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118533/ASPVB-2091720184.zip

Query 6: “Documentation issues with scripts path location”
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. The path location for the external scripts is given wrongly in the provided UG documentation link.

We have created Documentation task to correct this mistakes and please find the actual path of the external scripts location below
<Installed Location>\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\12.2.0.36\JavaScript\assets\external

Also please find the necessary scripts and css files below.

Syncfusion script files:
ej.web.all.min.js
ej.unobtrusive.min.js

External Script files:
jquery.min.js
jquery.easing.min.js
jquery.globalize.min.js
jsrender.min.js
jquery.validate.min.js

CSS files:
ej.widgets.all.min.css (that holds ej.widgets.core.min.css && ej.theme.min.css)

Regards,
Alan Sangeeth S

Hello guys, 
I'm trying to change the background color of SfSchedule, until now i didn't found anything about it.
I just found how to change the header of SfSchedule, but i need to change the whole calendar.

Thank you for your help ;)

FS Farveen Sulthana Thameeztheen Basha Syncfusion Team April 9, 2018 04:21 AM UTC

Hi Oziel,  

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion Support. 

SfSchedule control provides support to separately customize the background color of Header, ViewHeader, TimeSlots and MonthCell. You can change the entire background color of SfSchedule by customizing the Header, ViewHeader, TimeSlotColor and MontCell. Please refer the below code snippet.  

Code Snippet:  
             //Customizing header background color
            var headerStyle = new HeaderStyle();
            headerStyle.TextColor = Color.White;
            headerStyle.BackgroundColor = Color.LightSteelBlue;
            schedule.HeaderStyle = headerStyle;

//Customizing ViewHeader background color
            var viewHeaderStyle = new ViewHeaderStyle();
            viewHeaderStyle.DayTextColor = Color.White;
            viewHeaderStyle.DateTextColor = Color.White;
            viewHeaderStyle.CurrentDayTextColor = Color.White;
            viewHeaderStyle.BackgroundColor = Color.LightSteelBlue;
            schedule.ViewHeaderStyle = viewHeaderStyle;

//Customizing time slot background color for day view
            var dayViewSettings = new DayViewSettings();
            dayViewSettings.TimeSlotColor = Color.LightSteelBlue;
            var dayLabelSettings = new DayLabelSettings();
            dayLabelSettings.TimeLabelColor = Color.White;
            dayViewSettings.DayLabelSettings = dayLabelSettings;
            schedule.DayViewSettings = dayViewSettings;
            //Similarly you can customizing time slot background color of week and work week  

//Customizing background color for month view 
            var monthCellStyle = new MonthViewCellStyle();
            monthCellStyle.BackgroundColor = Color.LightSteelBlue;
            monthCellStyle.NextMonthBackgroundColor = Color.LightSteelBlue;
            monthCellStyle.PreviousMonthBackgroundColor = Color.LightSteelBlue;
            monthCellStyle.TodayBackgroundColor = Color.LightSteelBlue;
            monthCellStyle.TextColor = Color.White;
            schedule.MonthCellStyle = monthCellStyle;  

We have prepared a sample to customize the entire SfSchedule background color. Kindly find the sample below,  

Sample: Sample  

You can also refer our online User Guide Documentation by using the below links,  

Please let us know, if you need further assistance on this.  

Regards,  
Farveen sulthana T 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon