We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Show Ruler on Diagram

Hi,

This is actually a multi-part question.

First, we'd like to allow our users to specify a size for their diagram, like 8.5" X 11".
Typically you'd do this under File/Page Setup in a desktop app.

Second, we'd like to show a ruler on the diagram so the user can see just how big their diagram is, and whether it is extending beyond the page dimensions.
Excel is a good example.  If you set Print Area, there will be dotted lines showing what content will fall outside that area.

Any suggestions on how to best approach this requirement?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

8 Replies

SG Shyam G Syncfusion Team November 3, 2014 05:15 PM UTC

Hi Jim

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

Query

response

First, we'd like to allow our users to specify a size for their diagram, like 8.5" X 11".

Currently we don’t have the option to set a diagram size in inch. We consider this as a feature request and created a new incident 131536 on behalf of you related to this forum. We suggest you to follow up the incident for further reference using your direct trac account

Second, we'd like to show a ruler on the diagram so the user can see just how big their diagram is, and whether it is extending beyond the page dimensions.
Excel is a good example.  If you set Print Area, there will be dotted lines showing what content will fall outside that area.

Currently we don’t have the support for ruler on the diagram. We consider this as a feature request and created a new incident 131536 on behalf of you related to this forum. We suggest you to follow up the incident for further reference using your direct trac account

Please let me know if any concerns.

Regards,

Shyam G

SG Shyam G Syncfusion Team November 4, 2014 04:49 AM UTC

Hi Jim

Please ignore our previous update.

Query

response

Currently we don’t have the option to set a diagram size in inch. We consider this as a feature request and created a new incident 131536 on behalf of you related to this forum. We suggest you to follow up the incident for further reference using your direct trac account

Excel is a good example. 

Currently we don’t have the support for ruler on the diagram. We consider this as a feature request and created a new incident 131536 on behalf of you related to this forum. We suggest you to follow up the incident for further reference using your direct trac account

If you set Print Area, there will be dotted lines showing what content will fall outside that area.

We have an “ShowPageBreak”property in  pagesettings. We suggest you to set this “ShowPageBreak” property as true so that there will be dotted lines showing what content will fall outside that area.

Here is the code snippet

Diagram1.Model.PageSettings.ShowPageBreak = true;

Here is the sample

Sample:http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/general/pagebreakpropertysample-1493544480.zip

Please let me know if any concerns

Regards,

Shyam G

JJ Jim Jacobs January 14, 2015 07:06 PM UTC

Hi,

I'd like to revisit this topic.
Currently we have the following set in the page load event in code behind:

DiagramContent.PageSettings.PageWidth = 1100;
        DiagramContent.PageSettings.PageHeight = 850;
        DiagramContent.PageSettings.PageOrientation = PageOrientation.Landscape;
        DiagramContent.PageSettings.ShowPageBreak = false;
        DiagramContent.PageSettings.MultiplePage = false;
        DiagramContent.PageSettings.PageBorderColor = "red";
        DiagramContent.PageSettings.PageBorderWidth = 5;
        DiagramContent.PageSettings.ScrollLimit = ScrollLimit.Diagram;

I have also set the width and height on the diagram declaration:

<ej:Diagram ID="DiagramContent" runat="server" Height="850px" Width="1100px" ClientDrop="dropHandler" ClientItemClick="clickHandler">

We want to give the user a fixed size canvas on which to draw, much like they'd have in PowerPoint.

Right now the canvas seems to be infinite which makes it difficult to use.
I was hoping the ScrollLimit would help, but it doesn't seem to.

What should I do to confine the drawing area available to the user to a limited size?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

SG Shyam G Syncfusion Team January 15, 2015 07:37 AM UTC

Hi Jim

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

We have forwarded your requirement to our development team and will update you with our development team’s response in one business day (1/19/2015).

Regards,

Shyam G

JJ Jim Jacobs January 17, 2015 10:07 PM UTC

Hi Shyam,

I just had a look at one of your MVC demos here:  http://mvc.syncfusion.com/demos/ui/diagrambuilder

The behaviour of the canvas is just what we are looking for!
The user is restricted to drawing within the area shown on the screen.
It is not infinitely scrollable.

How was this accomplished?

I look forward to your reply as this has become a big issue for us.

Thanks

Jim

SG Shyam G Syncfusion Team January 19, 2015 01:48 PM UTC

Hi Jim

Thanks for your patience.

We suggest you to set the pagesttings “ScrollLimit” property as “ScrollLimit.Diagram” so that scroll limit is within the diagram. Could you please check in the below sample? If you are still facing issues at your end, then please modify the below sample or provide video to reproduce the issue in our end?. This will help us to verify and to provide better solution. We have provided code snippet and video for your reference.

Codesnippet:

DiagramContent.PageSettings.ScrollLimit = ScrollLimit.Diagram;

Sample:http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/117514/diagrambuildersample371468876.zip

Video:http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/117514/scrolllimit-1630173530.zip

Regards,

Shyam G

JJ Jim Jacobs January 19, 2015 04:14 PM UTC

Hi,

If you had read my earlier post carefully you would have noticed that I already have the ScrollLimit.Diagram specified!
The width of the diagram seems to be limited, but I can scroll vertically without limits.
See the attached video.

I need a solution to this soon.

Thanks

Jim

Attachment: Syncfusion__ScrollLimit_Issue__19Jan2015_3a4a18ea.zip

SG Shyam G Syncfusion Team January 20, 2015 05:35 AM UTC

Hi Jim

Thanks for the update

We have analyzed your requirement with our sample and we are unable to reproduce the reported issue at our end. Could you please provide us more details such as sample or share us a sample script file that you have used in your application or modify the below sample to reproduce the reported issue at our end?. This will help us to verify and provide better solution to you. please refer the below sample and video for your reference.

Sample: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/117514/diagrambuilder-98189601.zip

Video: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/117514/scrolllimit-570918795.zip

Regards,

Shyam G

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon