We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

PDF Form Flatten results in 'Object reference not set' on Save.

I can load a different PDF files, insert values in PdfLoadedTextBoxField without problems.

But when I Flatten and Save a PDF i get an NullReferenceException.

We use 3 different PDFs. With 2 of them I don't get the exception and the save works perfect, but with one of them I do get an exception. 

If I try to save without using Flatten, the PDF gets saved and no Exception occurs.

I think its the PDF itself. But all the PDFs are almost identical copies. 

I hope someone can help me figure this out.

Code:

form.Flatten = true;
DirectoryInfo directory = new DirectoryInfo(Path.Combine(this.ServerFolder,this.Batch.ToString()));
if (!directory.Exists) directory.Create();
document.Save(Path.Combine(directory.FullName, data.Number + ".pdf"));

Stacktrace:

at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedTextBoxField.Draw()
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedForm.Dictionary_BeginSave(Object sender, SavePdfPrimitiveEventArgs ars)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Primitives.PdfDictionary.OnBeginSave(SavePdfPrimitiveEventArgs args)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Primitives.PdfDictionary.Save(IPdfWriter writer, Boolean bRaiseEvent)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Primitives.PdfDictionary.Save(IPdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.DoSaveObject(IPdfPrimitive obj, PdfReference reference, PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.SaveIndirectObject(IPdfPrimitive obj, PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.SaveObjects(PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.Save(PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument.AppendDocument(PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument.Save(Stream stream)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.PdfDocumentBase.Save(String filename) 

5 Replies

PH Praveenkumar H Syncfusion Team November 7, 2013 04:37 AM UTC

Hi Michael,

Thank you for using Syncfusion products,

Please provide us the sample pdf document which reproduces the issue, and also provide us the essential studio version details,it will help us to investigate further in this issue.

Please let us know if you need further assistance,
With Regards,
Praveen

AJ Ajmal jalal replied to Michael Keeman March 31, 2018 03:10 AM UTC

I can load a different PDF files, insert values in PdfLoadedTextBoxField without problems.

But when I Flatten and Save a PDF i get an NullReferenceException.

We use 3 different PDFs. With 2 of them I don't get the exception and the save works perfect, but with one of them I do get an exception. 

If I try to save without using Flatten, the PDF gets saved and no Exception occurs.

I think its the PDF itself. But all the PDFs are almost identical copies. 

I hope someone can help me figure this out.

Code:

form.Flatten = true;
DirectoryInfo directory = new DirectoryInfo(Path.Combine(this.ServerFolder,this.Batch.ToString()));
if (!directory.Exists) directory.Create();
document.Save(Path.Combine(directory.FullName, data.Number + ".pdf"));

Stacktrace:

at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedTextBoxField.Draw()
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedForm.Dictionary_BeginSave(Object sender, SavePdfPrimitiveEventArgs ars)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Primitives.PdfDictionary.OnBeginSave(SavePdfPrimitiveEventArgs args)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Primitives.PdfDictionary.Save(IPdfWriter writer, Boolean bRaiseEvent)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Primitives.PdfDictionary.Save(IPdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.DoSaveObject(IPdfPrimitive obj, PdfReference reference, PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.SaveIndirectObject(IPdfPrimitive obj, PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.SaveObjects(PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.IO.PdfCrossTable.Save(PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument.AppendDocument(PdfWriter writer)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument.Save(Stream stream)
   at Syncfusion.Pdf.PdfDocumentBase.Save(String filename) 

Yes

SK Sasi Kumar Sekar Syncfusion Team April 2, 2018 05:20 AM UTC

Hi Ajmal, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion. 

We have created the PDF document with the Textbox field and flattened. The reported “Null reference exception” is not reproduced in our side and it seems to be document specific issue. Can you please share the input PDF document and Essential Studio version which reproducing issue in your side? It will help us to analyze further and provide the solution earlier. 

Regards, 
Sasi Kumar S. 

NH Nitin Hodgar April 14, 2021 10:14 AM UTC

Hi Team,

I am facing same  exception. Please let me know how this has been resolved.

Kind regards,
Nitin Hodgar

SN Santhiya Narayanan Syncfusion Team April 15, 2021 05:26 PM UTC

Hi Nitin,

Thank you for your interest with Syncfusion products.
Kindly share the code snippet, input PDF document, product version to reproduce the issue in our side, it will be helpful for us to reproduce the reported issue in our side. So that we can check and provide the solution as soon as possible.

Regards,
Santhiya.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon