We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
Starting in 2019, the Reporting control is no longer included in Essential Studio. If you're experiencing issues with the Syncfusion Reporting Platform, Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer, we recommend migrating to Bold Reports, our dedicated reporting platform.

Bold Reports offers a comprehensive suite of tools and features for all your reporting needs, and we will help you make a smooth transition from the discontinued control. Our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/ is here to assist you with any questions or difficulties you may encounter during the migration process.

We thank you for choosing Syncfusion and appreciate your understanding.

WCF Service to Save PDF, Word, Excel, HTML

Hi,
I have been trying to use the online documentation to save a generated report as a PDF, I know you show a basic WCF service tutorial in C# I have tried to convert it to VB.Net and Keep getting errors.

Any other samples I can look at.

7 Replies

RG Ragavan G Syncfusion Team October 7, 2013 04:44 AM UTC

Hi Darren Hunnter ,

Thanks for your interest in syncfusion products .

We have created sample working application for your requirement . Please find the sample from following location .

Sample :
https://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/113387/RDLCExportApplication-1558437718-1810239165.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions .

Thanks ,
Ragavan G

DH Darren Hunnter October 7, 2013 12:39 PM UTC

I have a bit of an odd problem if I set the report viewer to local the data in the report from the domain service is render, if I change it to remote the data is not show on the report.

The report still renders the report but no data is added to the report.

Here is the code I am using.

Private Sub DisplayReort(e As InvokeOperation(Of Byte()))
        Dim rdlstream1 As Stream = New MemoryStream(e.Value)
        Dim r As New ReportDataSource
        Dim serviceUrl As String = ""
        Dim hostName As String = Application.Current.Host.Source.Host

If Application.Current.Host.Source.Port <> 80 Then
            hostName += ":" + Application.Current.Host.Source.Port.ToString
        End If

serviceUrl = (Convert.ToString("http://") & hostName) + "/ReportingService.svc"

r.Name = "SalesPerson"
        r.Value = staff

'ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Local
        ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Remote
        ReportViewer1.ReportServiceURL = serviceUrl

Try
            ReportViewer1.DataSources.Clear()
            ReportViewer1.LoadReport(rdlstream1)
            ReportViewer1.DataSources.Add(r)
            'ReportViewer1.DataSources.Add(New ReportDataSource With {.Name = "SalesPerson", .Value = staff})
            ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)
        End Try

End Sub

DH Darren Hunnter October 7, 2013 01:04 PM UTC

Forgot to day I am using a domain service.

DH Darren Hunnter October 7, 2013 02:17 PM UTC

After Fiddling with the web config I still can't get it to render the data on report if I switch it from Local to Remote, I have attached the test project I am playing with can you please take a look to see why it will not render the report if I am using a domain server.

If I add sections from the example web config to the web config of this project it kills it.

As I said it not rendering data on the report, It renders the report but lack of data...

Help!

ReportTest_82e27ebd.rar

AS Anandakumar S Syncfusion Team October 8, 2013 05:27 AM UTC

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your update.

We have analyzed your query with the provided sample. We have to inform you that for RDLC reports we must specify DataSource manually and Processing mode can be set to Local or left without specifying. In the mean time if we set Processing mode to Remote it automatically takes DataSet from DataBases  using the connection details provided in the DataSource ( RDL and SSRS reports ).

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Anandakumar S

DH Darren Hunnter October 8, 2013 08:25 AM UTC

Ok if that the case for RDLC even if I say

ReportViewer1.DataSources.Add(New ReportDataSource With {.Name = "SalesPerson", .Value = staff})
Why is it that the data still not been shown, I have removed any processing reference from the XAML and commented out thefollowing

'ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Local
'ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Remote
The report still shows no data.
But if I set ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Local
, then I am unable to export the report to PDF ect as the browsers crashes saying with a data serialisation error.

Can RDLC files using Local Data sources be exported as PDF ect.....
Or is it only reports RDL and SSRS reports that can be exported as there processing mode is set to remote!

RG Ragavan G Syncfusion Team October 9, 2013 08:31 AM UTC

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your update . 

Please follow up this incident #113991 for further updates

Thanks ,

Ragavan G

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon