We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

RichTextBoxAdv impossible to use, no documentation

Hi,

I am trying to use the RichTextBoxAdv (WPF) control but am finding it impossible, mostly due to what seems to be completely inadequate documentation.  I am trying to achieve a simple goal, to load a Word document into the control.  The only documentation for this that I am able to find is the following lone line of code:

RichTextBox.Document = DocxImporting.ConvertToDocumentAdv(Stream, FormatType);

(source:  http://help.syncfusion.com/wpf/tools)

This is no help what so ever - what is FormatType? What value should I provide?  It is a String type (why not an enum?), and so Intellisense etc is no help.  I have searched your forums and API documenation and can find no mention of this (I cannot find RichTextBoxAdv anywhere in your API documentation).

Could someone please advise how to use this control to load a Word document, and could someone please tell me where I can find the real documentation for this product that we spent thousands of dollars purchasing?

Thanks.

5 Replies

GT Gunasekaran T Syncfusion Team September 17, 2013 06:55 AM UTC

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

Currently we do provide support for WPF RichTextBoxAdv control to view/edit formatted rich-text content of Word document (*.doc, *.docx), html and text files. Please do refer our Document Editor sample for more information regarding loading Word documents in RichTextBoxAdv control from below link.

Run dashboard installed in local machine:
1. Select Start -> Programs -> Syncfusion -> Essential Studio x.x.x.x -> Dashboard.
2. Select WPF.
3. Select Run Locally Installed Samples.
4. Choose Document Editor sample in Showcase.

We will update necessary information regarding loading Word documents in RichTextBoxAdv control to our UG documentation in the future, we regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Gunasekaran

Sample_65ea4849.zip

MF Matt Forth September 18, 2013 01:38 AM UTC

Hi Gunasekaran,

Thank you for your resonse, but unfortunately you do not seem to understand the problem I am facing with the SyncFusion RichTextBoxAdv control:

To load a MS Word document, your documentation says to use method DocXImporting.ConvertToDocumentAdv - from your attached sample:

rte.Document = DocxImporting.ConvertToDocumentAdv(e.DocumentStream, e.FormatType);
DocXImporting.ConvertToDocumentAdv requires TWO parameters, as can be seen above.

What is the second parameter?  All your provided samples specify it as "e.FormatType", which is no help at all.  What is the value of this field meant to be?  Its just a string type which tells me nothing, and this is not in your documentation anywhere that I can find.

To repeat:

I want to call this method: 

DocXImporting.ConvertToDocumentAdv(stream, format)

- What is "format" meant to be?  Your provided documentation AND YOUR SAMPLES do not say what this is.

Thanks

Matt.

GT Gunasekaran T Syncfusion Team September 18, 2013 05:07 AM UTC

Hi Matt,

We regret for the inconvenience caused. Currently we do provide support to load Word documents (Only *.doc and *.docx format) in our WPF RichTextBoxAdv control. Kindly use the Word document extension (“.doc” or “.docx”) as second parameter for DocxImporting.ConvertToDocumentAdv() method. We will update necessary information about parameters used for DocxImporting.ConvertToDocumentAdv() method to load Word documents in RichTextBoxAdv control to our UG documentation and class reference in the future.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Gunasekaran

AM Arjay Mendoza April 20, 2017 02:24 PM UTC

Hi, I am trying to use RichTextBoxAdv.SaveDocument or DocxExporting.ConvertToDocument(), do you have any samples for this?
Its just say stream, but what does the stream for?
Can I use Richtextbox.SaveDocument using savefiledialog?

Sorry but I think your control doesnt support to many overloads.

Thanks in advance

AP Arumuga Perumal S Syncfusion Team April 21, 2017 10:45 AM UTC

Hi Matt,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

We have prepared a sample to demonstrate how to save the contents of RichTextBoxAdv control into a file using SaveFileDialog. Please find the sample from following link.

Sample Link:
Sample.zip

The RichTextBoxAdv control is classic version. Whereas SfRichTextBoxAdv is a new control that works more like Microsoft Word, and all the new enhancements are done only in this control. Hence kindly prefer using SfRichTextBoxAdv control with all the new features. Kindly go through our online documentation from following links for more information.

Getting Started :
https://help.syncfusion.com/wpf/sfrichtextboxadv/getting-started

Export:
https://help.syncfusion.com/wpf/sfrichtextboxadv/import-and-export?cs-save-lang=1&cs-lang=csharp

Regards,
Arumuga Perumal S. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon