We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Why the GAC

Is there a specific reason why the GAC continues to be used as the default and expected installation of the library?

Since day 1 of purchasing Syncfusion I continue to run into trouble with this and I do not understand why. Even the ASP.NET team has moved away from this (i.e. MVC is bin deployed) because it is much easier to maintain as part of the solution.

I just lost an hour because I updated to v11 and my projects stopped working. I manually bin deploy, but now that it was in GAC it was having trouble. I uninstalled from the GAC - runs perfect.

Same goes for source control projects. I recently cloned a test project (from samples I had modified). It was on version 10, since I no longer have that installed (PC refresh), the project couldn't run. I had to either install it or bin-deploy it.

Another reason - all your samples and examples cannot be easily run because they are built around a specific version that I do not have (nor want to have) installed on my machine.

So why the GAC and can you move to an easier to manage bin deployment?

5 Replies

VN Vadivel Natarajan Syncfusion Team September 19, 2013 03:19 AM UTC

Hi Tony Basallo,

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please find below the response for your query.

Q) Is there a specific reason why the GAC continues to be used as the default and expected installation of the library?

A)We would like to let you know that by default, our older version installers install the assemblies in to the GAC during the installation of our setup. If you do not want our assemblies to be exist in GAC, you can use our Assembly Manager to uninstall the assemblies from GAC. We would like to let you know that in our latest version (11.3.0.30) we introduce a new option in our Essential Studio setup that you can deselect an option to ‘install the assemblies in GAC’ in the Advanced Installer option Wizard during the installation time. So that our assemblies will not be registered in GAC.

Please refer the below link to know about our Assembly Manager.
http://help.syncfusion.com/ug/common/default.htm#!documents/assemblymanager.htm

Regarding “since I no longer have that installed (PC refresh), the project couldn't run. I had to either install it or bin-deploy it. Another reason - all your samples and examples cannot be easily run because they are built around a specific version that I do not have (nor want to have) installed on my machine.”, in order to run the project developed using v10, you need to install the corresponding version setup. Also, if you want to run the samples of the any particular version, you need to install the respective version setup.

Regarding the query “So why the GAC and can you move to an easier to manage bin deployment?”, please refer the solution(A) given by us for your query(Q) in this update.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Vadivel N

TB Tony Basallo September 19, 2013 05:05 PM UTC

Thanks for the info. I do not usually look into the advanced setup. That's great news.

I would recommend two things:

move to a bin deployed default
remove the fully qualified assembly names in the config files (since it's bin deployed, it wont be needed)

This will make a full version samples/examples and projects easier to manage.

VN Vadivel Natarajan Syncfusion Team September 27, 2013 02:54 AM UTC

Hi Tony Basallo,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

Please find below the responses for your recommendations.

With regards to "move to a bin deployed default", we regret to let you know that bin deployment is not possible. If we do so, same dll’s  may exist in multiple folders and it lead to our setup size get increase.

With regards to “remove the fully qualified assembly names in the config files (since it's bin deployed, it wont be needed)", we would like to let you know that our assemblies are using in server machines to build the applications developed by the users. In server machines, we referred the dll’s from GAC. Due to this, we always signed our dll’s before delivered. So, fully qualified assembly name will come automatically in web config files when you refer our dll’s to an application.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Vadivel N

GP Gregory Pe November 15, 2016 06:55 PM UTC

during the installation of my project at the client's message pops up
GAC first ... I send file
I made installations assemby Manager

I set the CopyLocal=True for all the Syncfusion assemblies in  project

what should I do

Attachment: GAC_79eb2617.zip

MS Manivannan Sundararajan Syncfusion Team November 17, 2016 03:13 PM UTC

Hi Gregory,

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Could you please ensure the following things and update us the whether the issue was resolved or not?

1. Make sure that the Syncfusion assemblies you have used in your project is copied to the output location since you have given CopyLocal as True for Syncfusion assemblies.

2. While sharing your application to the Client, please make sure that you shared the application along with the Syncfusion assemblies.

Regards,
Manivannan S.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon