We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
Starting in 2019, the Reporting control is no longer included in Essential Studio. If you're experiencing issues with the Syncfusion Reporting Platform, Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer, we recommend migrating to Bold Reports, our dedicated reporting platform.

Bold Reports offers a comprehensive suite of tools and features for all your reporting needs, and we will help you make a smooth transition from the discontinued control. Our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/ is here to assist you with any questions or difficulties you may encounter during the migration process.

We thank you for choosing Syncfusion and appreciate your understanding.

SfReportViewer Sample Fakes Export of Data

Hi,

I was working with the SfReportviewer control in the SampleBrower application and I liked the fact it can export to various formats. Although upon further investigation I found that although the sample application supplied by Syncfusion shows loading data from a "static" dataset created in the sample application (i.e. NowrthWind Product Catalog) and when viewed it shows the Export button giving the user a sense that they're exporting the dataset created in the sample application. When I attempted to use the report viewer the same way in my application, with a static dataset, everything worked as expected and the report was displayed. However when I went to try and export the report,

1. The button is greyed out and un clickable.
  2. Nothing I could see would let me export the data.

So I went back to review the sample and noticed that it has a ReportURL set (even though it demonstrates loading "static" data) I commented this out of the Syncfusion sample and what did I notice? The Export button on the sample report viewer was greyed out too! To which I draw this conclusion, you can load "static" data in the report to view, but you can not export it, unless you use a web service to get more data from. I felt that this was rather misleading about the product capabilities, and I hope others don't get the impression that static data can be exported. So unless I'm missing something here are there any plans to allow static datasets to be exported from the report viewer?

Thanks,

C.

4 Replies

CC Cliff Cote June 18, 2013 08:30 PM UTC

I just tried again with the latest version 11.0.25 and still get the same results, no export button with static data sets, and even if I give the ReportServerUrl property a value (i,e, http://localhost:1129/service.svc) I still get no Export button. What is going on with the ReportViewer Control?

I was hoping that the report viewer would be an alternative to using the DocIO XLS to export to Excel, it looks like that is not the case.

LS Lingaraj S Syncfusion Team June 19, 2013 09:44 AM UTC

Hi Cliff,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

You have to use ReportService to export the report from ReportViewer.  Export button will enabled once you have provided proper ReportService URL for ReportViewer.

Refer “Can we export an RDLC report from WinRT application?” section from following documentation.

http://help.syncfusion.com/UG/winrt/default.htm#!Documents/howto1.htm

Refer following online documentation to create Syncfusion ReportService.

http://help.syncfusion.com/UG/winrt/default.htm#!Documents/gettingstarted27.htm

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Lingaraj S. 

CC Cliff Cote June 19, 2013 03:45 PM UTC

You haven't addressed my initial question. Why does the sample show exporting with static data, instead of just calling the web service for all the data? Which I found to be misleading about the capabilities of the control.

LS Lingaraj S Syncfusion Team June 20, 2013 09:14 AM UTC

Hi Cliff,

We have used static data for sample purpose. If you like to show the data from database server then retrieve the data from service and provide that data into ReportViewer data sources. For a RDLC, you must provide data manually through application.

For RDL report, ReportService will automatically retrieve the data from Database Server what you have used (SQL or SQL Azure) in Report and there is no need to specify the data source manually in application. We have this sample in SSRS report demo, this report will be rendered by using Server data.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Lingaraj S.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon