We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Mailing label mail merge not removing NextRecord merge fields

I created a sample to do a mail merge for mailing labels which contains the Next Record merge field codes so that many can be on one page.  When the merge runs it puts the data in but the output still has the <<Next Record>> text in it.  I have the following 3 things set but it doesn't appear to do anything.

doc.MailMerge.RemoveEmptyParagraphs = true;
doc.MailMerge.RemoveEmptyGroup = true;
doc.MailMerge.ClearFields = true;

Why is the <<Next Record>> text left in the document?

If I leave out the next record fields then it duplicates the same address in every item on the page and creates additional pages for each row in the table.  This means that the code is picking up on the next record fields but I would expect that they would not be dumped to the output.

5 Replies

RM Ramkumar M Syncfusion Team November 30, 2012 10:43 AM UTC

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

Could you please provide us the runnable sample along with input document to reproduce the mentioned issue? So that we can analyze on the exact cause of the issue and provide you the proper solution.

Please let us know if you have any question

Regards

Ramkumar

BC Benjamin Cage April 25, 2013 03:04 AM UTC

Hi Everybody - was there a resolution to this issue? We have the same :)

SS Siva Subramanian Syncfusion Team April 29, 2013 11:52 AM UTC

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

The mentioned <<Next>> field issue in this thread has been fixed in our Essential Studio Version 9.3.0.61. Once the next record field is encountered, the next record for the mail merge is fetched and the encountered <<Next>> field is removed from the document. We have prepared a simple sample to illustrate this. Kindly download the sample from the attachments and let us know if this helps you.

If you are using Essential Studio versions older than 9.3.0.61, please upgrade to the latest versions to resolve this issue mentioned in this thread. Please find below the latest version(11.1.0.21) download link.

Latest version download Link:

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/forums/general/107138/Essential-Studio-2013-Volume-1-Final-Release-v111021-available-for-download

In case if still issue reproduced in your side, kindly send the sample/code snippet, Assembly version, input and output documents which you used to reproduce this issue so that we can further investigate this issue on our side to rovide appropriate solution.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Sivasubramanian.

GenerateWord_Windows_9945caf3.zip

SA sathish February 28, 2019 06:28 AM UTC

Hi,

I have experimented with SyncFusion ASP.Core elements and xamarin plugins to a certain extent but mostly as a learner and not in production. 
Now we have a small windows forms project for maintenance am they have a requirement to create a mailing list from the data selection. The idea is to get the name and address printed in a two column layout in a plan A4 sheet so they can tear it off and stick the address to envelops. Though it is easier done in ASP.net, PHP etc using HTML to PDF plugin et, this is a windows forms app and they want output in word so they can make any adjustments etc manually. 

I am trying to use Syncfusion DocIO for this to I tried your sample code but it keeps adding one record after other vertically in the word document whereas i want it to be laid out on a 2 column format. If there is a working sample project for this with some even with some hard coded data sample, that would be amazing. I guess there could be others who might want this feature.

Regards
Sathish

Attachment: MailingLabelIst_19ce85fb.zip

DB Dilli Babu Nandha Gopal Syncfusion Team March 4, 2019 10:23 AM UTC

Hi Sathish, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support. 

To achieve your requirement, we have prepared a sample application to perform mail merge using the dynamic data in the Word document.

Please refer the sample from the below link:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/105928/ze/MailMergeColumnWise1830355184
Note: Please find the template Word document in the “Data” folder of above sample.

In this sample, we have done the following things:
  1. Loads a template Word document.
  2. Executes mail merge functionality.
  3. Saves the Word document.

To merge different data for same merge fields (column wise manner), we suggest you prepare template Word document as per below:
  1. Creates a table with two columns.
  2. Add merge fields in two cells of first row in the table.

To merge another data value (another record) to the same merge fields of another cell, we suggest to add “Next” field at the end of merge field in first cell. Thus, after executing mail merge for first cell, the data values of next row (next record) are merged into fields in another cell (second cell in first row).
Note: To view “Next” field in Word document, open the document using Microsoft Word application press ALT+F9 shortcut key to toggle field codes.

Regards, 
Dilli babu. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon