We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

GridControl screen reader problems

Hi,

I am working on making our application accessibility compliant and am having real trouble getting screen readers to read off cell info for a GridControl.  I can't get any feedback from screen readers when clicking on a cell or using the arrow keys to navigate through the grid.  I'm assuming this is some sort of focus issue, but I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

Please let me know if this is a bug that will be fixed, or if you know of a suggested code work around to make a GridControl play nice with a screen reader.

3 Replies

RG Rajasekar G Syncfusion Team August 10, 2012 03:29 PM UTC

Hi Austin,

Thanks for using Syncfusion Products.

We have analyzed the screen reader with the GridControl, it reads the key press and key navigation as like in excel. Currently GridControl will not support for screen reader to read the cell information.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Raja sekar.G

AU AustinSpears August 16, 2012 06:57 PM UTC

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, but I do not believe your assessment is correct.  Excel behaves by reading off the row number, column number, and then the cell content.

The GridControl simply reads off as, "List" and then no further feedback is provided by the screen reader.  This is most certainly not in any way similar to how Excel performs. 

As a note I am using NVDA for my screen reader.  If you were using Window's Narrator to test please use a more appropriate screen reader; due to the gross inadequacies present in the Window's Narrator no one actually uses that in a commercial environment.

KP Kathirvel P Syncfusion Team August 22, 2012 01:40 PM UTC

Hi Austin,

Thank you for your update.

Currently GridControl will not support for screen reader to read the cell information. We have used Microsoft Narrator to test this feature and it reads the key press and key navigation as like in excel.

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Thanks,
Kathirvel

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon