We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Nested Mail Merge with Tables

Hi

I am evaluating your DocIO for nested mailmerge use.
I have an XML file that is read into a dataset that has a structure about like this:
<data>
  <tax>12</tax>
  <Items>
    <Item>
      <Itemnumber someProperty="something">1</Itemnumber>
    </Item>
    <Item>
      <Itemnumber someProperty="something">2</Itemnumber>
    </Item>
  </Items>
</Data>

the generated dataset contains quite a lot of Tables. ie: Table "Item" doesn't contain a column "Itemnumber", but there is a separate Table "Itemnumber" that has a parent-child relation to "Item". this is because Itemnumber has Attributes and DataTable parsing such XML results in these tables.

I have successfully accomplished to display all the data by using BeginGroup and such, so I was trying to do the same with BeginTable where I got stuck:

I created a Table with two rows. the first containing the headercaptions, the second goes something like this ( | = column separation )
| <<BeginTable:Items>><<BeginGroup:Item>><<BeginGroup:Itemnumber>><<someProperty>><<EndGroup:Itemnumber>><<EndGroup:Item>> | ...more columns with more stuff ... | <<EndTable:Items>> |

(oh and btw. around the table is of course the <<BeginGroup:data>>)

This does not work though. I get either errors like "Item" group not found or the merging goes well but the resulting document isn't correct: either the different items aren't spread across different rows (but merged in one) or the Data in the second row doesn't differ from the first or there's no data at all.

I would love to see a working sample of this. Thanks

3 Replies

RM Ramkumar M Syncfusion Team May 25, 2012 09:57 AM UTC

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

We have prepared the sample to meet your requirement of perform nested mail merge with the XML data that you provided, using DocIO.

To perform nested mail merge in a region the group start and end merge fields should be BeginGroup and EndGroup respectively. In a table the group start and end merge fields should be TableStart and TableEnd respectively. 

Please do find the sample from the attachment. Try running the sample and let us know if this helps you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Ramkumar

Sample_6e5a090f.zip

MA Markus June 6, 2012 10:58 AM UTC

Well thanks for the reply.

First of all, you guys should improve the documentation to this.
Second: I think I wasn't clear enough. The data looks like this:

<data>
    <tax>0,19 €</tax>
    <taxamount>387,76 €</taxamount>   
    <Items>
        <Item>
            <lineitemnumber>1 </lineitemnumber>
            <productname>p787</productname>
            <extendedamount formattedvalue="1.166,20 €">1166.2</extendedamount>           
        </Item>
        <Item>
            <lineitemnumber>2 </lineitemnumber>       
            <productname>p523</productname>           
            <extendedamount formattedvalue="874,65 €">874.65</extendedamount>           
        </Item>
    </Items>
</data>

and I want to display each "Item" in it's own row so the rows look like:
|| 1 || p787 || ... || 1.166,20 € ||

do I need a "BeginGroup" inside the Table for this ? as far as I understood "TableStart" is for inserting new Rows, right?

thx for the help

RM Ramkumar M Syncfusion Team June 7, 2012 12:54 PM UTC

Hi Markus,

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

By using Nested mail merge, you could not merge data from two different tables to a single row. As a workaround you can merge “extendedamount “and “Item” into single table then perform a simple mail merge.

We have prepared a sample to illustrate this work around .Please do find the sample from the attachment. Try running the sample and let us know if this helps you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Ramkumar

Sample_3e24275a.zip

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon