We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

GridControl updating whole grid on invalidatecell/invalidatevisual

Hi,
I am evaluating different grids for performance to be used in one of our future products and was looking into GridControl. I ran TraderGridTest sample that comes with essential studio and found that If I run wpf perforator with "show dirty-region update overlay" enabled, it highlights the whole grid area whenever a cell is invalidated.

Does this mean that whole area gets updated whenever a cell is invalidated in a grid? I not can you provide some other sample to demonstrate it?

details about perforator can be found at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa969767.aspx

Attached is the file showing the whole grid highlighted on cell update

TraderGrid_c9bf8e04.rar

3 Replies

RS Rizwan Sharif October 12, 2011 11:43 AM UTC

any update on this?

SN Sankara Narayanan N Syncfusion Team February 28, 2012 02:58 PM UTC

Hi Rizwan,
Sorry for the delayed response.
We have tested our GridControl, we face the memory dirty-region only when there are frequent real time updates and this is because the real time updates are given to the adjacent cells, so all the cells were updated very frequently. We have attached a video for this, shows that the frequency of update is less and there is no dirty region occurs. Please find the video from the attachment.
Please let us know if you have any queries.
Thanks,
Sankar

wpf perforator_ba437765.zip

RN Robert Noldin June 16, 2014 04:48 PM UTC

Hi, I do not think you answered Rizwan's question. I saw the video at the end but the problem still exists with the trader grid test sample. You need to run the WPF performance suite tool from the Microsoft SDK to see the dirty regions that are painted. I changed the trader grid sample to stop inserting and deleting rows and ONLY have updates every 5 seconds (5000ms). When you use the WPF perforator tool and turn on the dirty region area you can clearly see how the entire rectangle is drawn even though one a few cells are changing. Can you please take a look at Rizwan's request because the trader grid sample is not very performant as it stands today.

We also have a requirement to only paint the cells that are changing. We know the cells that have changed, now we just need to convey that information to the grid with the appropriate InvalideCell()/InvaliudeVisual() calls to optimize performance. Currently the way the trader grid test is written the entire rectangle is re-painted, even if there is one update to one cell.

Thanks

Bob

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon