We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy.
Unfortunately, activation email could not send to your email. Please try again.
Syncfusion Feedback

You can''t read client side xls files?

Thread ID:

Created:

Updated:

Platform:

Replies:

100530 Aug 13,2011 10:00 PM UTC Aug 17,2011 07:15 AM UTC Silverlight 2
Tags: XlsIO
dan
Asked On August 13, 2011 10:00 PM UTC

I'm thinking about this product, but in that other post you're saying you can't read in client side files, that you have to stream them from the server. Is this true?

For my application, I need to read in files on the client machine, manipulate them, page size, margins, layout.. all of which you support. But I need to be able to read and write the files on the client machine. I don't want to go through the server? Is this true with the excel reader too? can you only stream files from the server?

dan
Replied On August 15, 2011 12:29 AM UTC

I looked at your samples and it read in a local file no problem. Was that other post outdated? I shouldn't have any problems doing everyone on the client right? I just used:

OpenFileDialog dialog = new OpenFileDialog();
dialog.Multiselect = false;
dialog.Filter = "xls (*.xls) |*.xls";
int i = 0;

if ((bool)dialog.ShowDialog())
{
FileStream fs = dialog.File.OpenRead();
ExcelEngine engine = new ExcelEngine();
IWorkbook book = engine.Excel.Workbooks.Open(fs, ExcelOpenType.Automatic);
IWorksheet sheet = book.Worksheets[0];

... loop through cells or whatever

Sridhar [Syncfusion]
Replied On August 17, 2011 07:15 AM UTC

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for using Syncfusion products.

When reading the xls file from server to client we need to read as an stream and manipulate the changes in the worksheet.And we cant read as the files.

Please let us know the actual requirement you are trying at our side so that we can provide the details for the same.

Please udpate us the the platform used for client server application and the simplified sample to proceed further.

Thanks,
Sridhar.S

CONFIRMATION

This post will be permanently deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?

Sorry, An error occured while processing your request. Please try again later.

Warning Icon You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer that may not display all features of this and other websites. Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 or newer for a better experience.Close Icon

;