We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

GGC memory issue

Hi, We have a requirement to implement a grid to load and to allow edit of 265,000 rows or more of data with 15 columns on each row. We did prototypes with GridControl and GGC. The grouping feature and etc in GGC fits our data wonderfully. However, with GGC, we ran out of memory when trying to load 265,000 rows of data. In the GGC prototype, all of the 265,000 rows of data is loaded into memory in a dataset which takes up approx 8 meg of memory. None of the GGC feature is turned on yet. Eventually, we want to inculde features such as grouping by columns, filtering, multiple row selection, sorting, and etc. Is GGC capable of handling data of this size? Is it possible to implement lazy loading using GGC? If GGC should not be the choice, which grid is best suited? Thanks in advance, NJ

7 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 6, 2005 08:09 PM UTC

Hi NJan, try running your prototype again with the 3.3 version of the grid and enable the following settings: grid.AllowedOptimizations = EngineOptimizations.All; grid.CounterLogic = EngineCounters.FilteredRecords; grid.TableOptions.VerticalPixelScroll = false; grid.TableOptions.ColumnsMaxLengthStrategy = GridColumnsMaxLengthStrategy.FirstNRecords; grid.TableOptions.ColumnsMaxLengthFirstNRecords = 100; Dependant on your computer specs and also dependant on the underlying datasource you should be able to load and display 265,000 records and group them. But there will be a delay of several seconds until the grid has finished loding this amount of data. And every time you change the grouping or sorting there will be such delay. Let me know if above code suggestions make it work for you. Also, if these records do also have nested tables then I think you will run out of memory. You can download version 3.3 from the support area starting today. Stefan >Hi, > > We have a requirement to implement a grid to load and to allow edit of 265,000 rows or more of data with 15 columns on each row. > > We did prototypes with GridControl and GGC. The grouping feature and etc in GGC fits our data wonderfully. However, with GGC, we ran out of memory when trying to load 265,000 rows of data. > > In the GGC prototype, all of the 265,000 rows of data is loaded into memory in a dataset which takes up approx 8 meg of memory. None of the GGC feature is turned on yet. Eventually, we want to inculde features such as grouping by columns, filtering, multiple row selection, sorting, and etc. > > Is GGC capable of handling data of this size? Is it possible to implement lazy loading using GGC? > > If GGC should not be the choice, which grid is best suited? > >Thanks in advance, >NJ

NJ Nancy Jan September 7, 2005 06:37 PM UTC

Hi Stefan, I uninstalled 3.2.1.0 and installed 3.3 but VS .NET cannot find AllowedOptimizations and CounterLogic contained in GridGroupingControl. I upgraded license files, resource files and ran AssemblyManager and etc. What have I missed? Regards, NJ >Hi NJan, > >try running your prototype again with the 3.3 version of the grid and enable the following settings: > > grid.AllowedOptimizations = EngineOptimizations.All; > grid.CounterLogic = EngineCounters.FilteredRecords; > grid.TableOptions.VerticalPixelScroll = false; grid.TableOptions.ColumnsMaxLengthStrategy = GridColumnsMaxLengthStrategy.FirstNRecords; > grid.TableOptions.ColumnsMaxLengthFirstNRecords = 100; > > >Dependant on your computer specs and also dependant on the underlying datasource you should be able to load and display 265,000 records and group them. But there will be a delay of several seconds until the grid has finished loding this amount of data. And every time you change the grouping or sorting there will be such delay. > >Let me know if above code suggestions make it work for you. > >Also, if these records do also have nested tables then I think you will run out of memory. > >You can download version 3.3 from the support area starting today. > >Stefan > > >>Hi, >> >> We have a requirement to implement a grid to load and to allow edit of 265,000 rows or more of data with 15 columns on each row. >> >> We did prototypes with GridControl and GGC. The grouping feature and etc in GGC fits our data wonderfully. However, with GGC, we ran out of memory when trying to load 265,000 rows of data. >> >> In the GGC prototype, all of the 265,000 rows of data is loaded into memory in a dataset which takes up approx 8 meg of memory. None of the GGC feature is turned on yet. Eventually, we want to inculde features such as grouping by columns, filtering, multiple row selection, sorting, and etc. >> >> Is GGC capable of handling data of this size? Is it possible to implement lazy loading using GGC? >> >> If GGC should not be the choice, which grid is best suited? >> >>Thanks in advance, >>NJ

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 7, 2005 06:50 PM UTC

Look for this.gridGroupingControl1.Engine.AllowedOptimizations. Take a look at the \Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.3.0.0\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\Grouping\EngineOptimizations sample.

NJ Nancy Jan September 7, 2005 07:41 PM UTC

Hi Clay & Stefan, Actually we are loading 2.6 million (instead of 260,000) rows of data of approx 15 columns on each row. The 3.3 handles it pretty well. It is much faster and take a lot less memory. 2.6 milliion rows is an incredible amount of data to display all at once, we are adding some kind filters to cut down the amount of data to display at once. Thanks for your help. Job well done. Thanks, NJ

SR Soumen Roy December 22, 2005 01:59 PM UTC

I ran TraderGridTest Sample under Performance. It was taking on an average 37-40% of the CPU cycles on maximized screen. My application runs with TIBCO subjects - that receives thousands of messages from TIBCO every second and use 18- 23% of the CPU cycles. I am worried if I use Grouping Grid it will increase the CPU to above 50% - that is not good for Traders. Could you please optimize the sample to use less CPU cycles without changing the Calculation logic. Our current application is running with Grid and we are facing problem with the Initial memory (over 250MB) usage by the Grid. If we minimize and restore the application, the memory usage dropped to 47 MB and it ramains there for some time at least for 10 Minutes - with heavy trading traffic, I mean just before market close. We need a solution where both CPU cycle and Memory usage is optimized.

TO Tobias O''Leary March 11, 2010 10:48 PM UTC

I do want to add that when we were initially looking for a Grouping Grid component the Syncfusion Grouping Grid's development ease of use and speed won it the job.

Just saw this post and thought I would add a thumbs up.

Sincerely,
Tobias O'Leary

RC Rajadurai C Syncfusion Team March 18, 2010 01:34 PM UTC

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your appreciation.

Regards,
Rajadurai

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon