We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Application Deployment and .licx files

Hi, I just upgraded to Syncfusion 2.0.5.0. I am having trouble deploying my application. I understand that the runtime licensing now requires a .licx file to be embedded into the assembly - and that this occurs at compile time. However, I think I am having trouble with the contents of my license file. I followed the instructions, which suggest ''touching'' Syncfusion controls in the designer, but this doesn''t help. I don''t have the original .licx files which were created when I designed the user interface - they weren''t required so I deleted them. Now I have a lot of assemblies which use Syncfusion and the ''touching'' approach (even if it worked) is not practical. Are there any alternatives for creating the .licx file that don''t involve opening files in the designer? Thanks in advance.

13 Replies

TR Trampas Syncfusion Team April 23, 2004 11:19 AM UTC

Hi Nik, An easy alternative to this would be to create a "dummy" form in your project, and then design controls onto the form, deleting the form once the entries are made in the licenses.licx file. Also, not all controls need to be touched - licensing is done on a per product level, so just one control from each syncfusion assembly that you are using needs to be added. From Syncfusion.Shared.dll, you can drop on a ColorPicker control. From Syncfusion.Edit.dll - the EditControl From Syncfusion.Tools.dll - the CalculatorControl From Syncfusion.Grid.dll - the GridControl From Syncfusion.Diagram.dll - the Diagram control For ExcelRW and Grouping, there are two configuration controls that can be used - ExcelRWConfig and GroupingConfig The other option would be use the lc.exe framework utility for creating a licenses file that can be included in your project. In your msdn help, look up "lc.exe". Basically, the VS.Net ide does this automatically for C# and VB projects. If you continue to have difficulties, or have further questions, please let us know. Thanks, and have a great day! -Trampas

SR Stefano Rancati April 27, 2004 08:49 AM UTC

Hi, I have a similar problem: - I have to deliver a program using Syncfusion dlls (those in the precompiled assemblies directory) - I''ve followed the approach to add an empty form including one control for dll and then takes the .licx file - I''ve recompiled the application using csc /ref:... The result is unsuccessful, that is the application crashes at start-up when try to use Syncfusion libraries Help me please ! >Hi Nik, > >An easy alternative to this would be to create a "dummy" form in your project, and then design controls onto the form, deleting the form once the entries are made in the licenses.licx file. > >Also, not all controls need to be touched - licensing is done on a per product level, so just one control from each syncfusion assembly that you are using needs to be added. > >From Syncfusion.Shared.dll, you can drop on a ColorPicker control. > >From Syncfusion.Edit.dll - the EditControl > >From Syncfusion.Tools.dll - the CalculatorControl > >From Syncfusion.Grid.dll - the GridControl > >From Syncfusion.Diagram.dll - the Diagram control > >For ExcelRW and Grouping, there are two configuration controls that can be used - ExcelRWConfig and GroupingConfig > >The other option would be use the lc.exe framework utility for creating a licenses file that can be included in your project. > >In your msdn help, look up "lc.exe". > >Basically, the VS.Net ide does this automatically for C# and VB projects. > >If you continue to have difficulties, or have further questions, please let us know. > >Thanks, and have a great day! >-Trampas >

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 28, 2004 02:27 PM UTC

I''m having the same problem. I''ve followed the steps described above, but the app is still crashing when I try to load it on a pc other than developer''s box. Is there any way for you guys to push out a fix for it? Thanks. >Hi, > > I have a similar problem: > >- I have to deliver a program using Syncfusion dlls (those in the precompiled assemblies directory) >- I''ve followed the approach to add an empty form >including one control for dll and then takes the >.licx file >- I''ve recompiled the application using csc /ref:... > >The result is unsuccessful, that is the application crashes at start-up when try to use Syncfusion libraries > >Help me please ! > >>Hi Nik, >> >>An easy alternative to this would be to create a "dummy" form in your project, and then design controls onto the form, deleting the form once the entries are made in the licenses.licx file. >> >>Also, not all controls need to be touched - licensing is done on a per product level, so just one control from each syncfusion assembly that you are using needs to be added. >> >>From Syncfusion.Shared.dll, you can drop on a ColorPicker control. >> >>From Syncfusion.Edit.dll - the EditControl >> >>From Syncfusion.Tools.dll - the CalculatorControl >> >>From Syncfusion.Grid.dll - the GridControl >> >>From Syncfusion.Diagram.dll - the Diagram control >> >>For ExcelRW and Grouping, there are two configuration controls that can be used - ExcelRWConfig and GroupingConfig >> >>The other option would be use the lc.exe framework utility for creating a licenses file that can be included in your project. >> >>In your msdn help, look up "lc.exe". >> >>Basically, the VS.Net ide does this automatically for C# and VB projects. >> >>If you continue to have difficulties, or have further questions, please let us know. >> >>Thanks, and have a great day! >>-Trampas >>

TR Trampas Syncfusion Team April 28, 2004 03:55 PM UTC

What is the error message displayed when the application crashes at startup, specifically does it state which assembly has a licensing problem, etc? Also, have you tried using the lc.exe framework utility?

SG Steve Graddy April 28, 2004 04:23 PM UTC

Hi Trampas, This looks as if Syncfusion needs to do a Knowledgebase article with complete details on how to use the lc.exe Framework utility to create a resource file for the users applictaion. This could show in detail how to to this for your Syncfusion controls. Since this is something new that you are doing for v2.0.5.0 dll''s and seems to be causing quite a few problems. Even the tech support samples you guys are sending us have licensing errors when we try to run them. Just a though! Thanks...

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 28, 2004 04:43 PM UTC

Hi Steve Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we will be creating a KB article on this issue. Regards Arun

SR Stefano Rancati April 29, 2004 06:27 AM UTC

First of all I want to underline that on the compilation machine it has never been installed Syncfusion EssentialSuite. Our application uses the following libraries: Syncfusion.Edit.dll Syncfusion.Grid.dll Syncfusion.Tools.dll Syncfusion.Shared.dll Followed procedure: - licenses.licx is created on a machine with Syncfusion EssentialSuite installed and the contents ids the following: Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.CalculatorControl, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89 Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ColorPickerButton, Syncfusion.Shared, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89 Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl, Syncfusion.Grid, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89 Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Edit.EditControl, Syncfusion.Edit, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89 - following command has been launched: lc /target:SymbolicNameNavigator.exe /complist:licenses.licx /i:Syncfusion.Edit.dll /i:Syncfusion.Tools.dll /i:Syncfusion.Shared.dll /i:Syncfusion.Grid.dll /outdir:. With the result: Microsoft (R) .NET License Compiler [Microsoft .Net Framework, Version 1.1.4322.573] Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved. Processing complist ''licenses.licx''... licenses.licx(1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.CalculatorControl, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' licenses.licx(2) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ColorPickerButton, Syncfusion.Shared, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' licenses.licx(3) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl, Syncfusion.Grid, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' licenses.licx(4) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Edit.EditControl, Syncfusion.Edit, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' Creating Licenses file .\symbolicnamenavigator.exe.licenses... After this fail, we have tried to register the DLLs on the GAC with the following command: D:\Tmp>gacutil /i d:\prova\Syncfusion.Shared.dll Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved. Assembly successfully added to the cache D:\Tmp>gacutil /i d:\prova\Syncfusion.Tools.dll Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved. Assembly successfully added to the cache D:\Tmp>gacutil /i d:\prova\Syncfusion.Edit.dll Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved. Assembly successfully added to the cache D:\Tmp>gacutil /i d:\prova\Syncfusion.Grid.dll Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved. Assembly successfully added to the cache Now, the procedure has been repeated: lc /target:SymbolicNameNavigator.exe /complist:licenses.licx /i:Syncfusion.Edit.dll /i:Syncfusion.Tools.dll /i:Syncfusion.Shared.dll /i:Syncfusion.Grid.dll /outdir:. With the following result: Microsoft (R) .NET License Compiler [Microsoft .Net Framework, Version 1.1.4322.573] Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved. Processing complist ''licenses.licx''... licenses.licx(1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.CalculatorControl, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' licenses.licx(2) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ColorPickerButton, Syncfusion.Shared, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' licenses.licx(3) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl, Syncfusion.Grid, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' licenses.licx(4) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Edit.EditControl, Syncfusion.Edit, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' Creating Licenses file .\symbolicnamenavigator.exe.licenses... Question: - License file must be unique, or we can use it for many applications ?

JL Josh Larkin April 29, 2004 12:41 PM UTC

We are also have issues with the 2.0.5.0 deployment. Has anyone got this to actually work? If so, what steps succeeded? We have tried all the suggestions in the forums regarding this and nothing worked. At this point we are about ready to rollback to 2.0.3.0

TR Trampas Syncfusion Team April 29, 2004 04:00 PM UTC

The build machine must have a valid license of Essential Suite installed. >First of all I want to underline that on the compilation machine it has never been installed Syncfusion EssentialSuite. >

JL Josh Larkin April 29, 2004 06:07 PM UTC

Hi, I got an answer that works from syncfusion. After generating all the license files again by "touching" the controls or adding dummy forms, I had to also add the licx file to my exe project that was using my dlls that used syncfusion dlls. This solved our issue. So, if you have dlls that reference syncfusion assmeblies and then you use those assemblies in an exe project, the exe project needs the license file too.

SR Stefano Rancati April 30, 2004 05:18 AM UTC

OK, it works ! Thanks ! >The build machine must have a valid license of Essential Suite installed. > >>First of all I want to underline that on the compilation machine it has never been installed Syncfusion EssentialSuite. >> >

GG Gokulraj Gopinathan May 19, 2004 05:35 PM UTC

Yes it works, but it throws the same LicenseException when the user changes the executable filename. do any one have solution for this? or any settings needs to be done before building the executable. thanks. >OK, it works ! > >Thanks ! > >>The build machine must have a valid license of Essential Suite installed. >> >>>First of all I want to underline that on the compilation machine it has never been installed Syncfusion EssentialSuite. >>> >>

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 19, 2004 07:21 PM UTC

The easiest way I have found is to go into Project Properties and change the Assembly Name to the executable you want before you compile. That syncs the licenses file and the executable name. >Yes it works, but it throws the same LicenseException when the user changes the executable filename. > >do any one have solution for this? or any settings needs to be done before building the executable. thanks. > >>OK, it works ! >> >>Thanks ! >> >>>The build machine must have a valid license of Essential Suite installed. >>> >>>>First of all I want to underline that on the compilation machine it has never been installed Syncfusion EssentialSuite. >>>> >>>

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon