Syncfusion Essential XlsIO is a .NET Excel library used to create, read, and edit Excel documents. Using this library, you can start creating an Excel document in Xamarin.
Steps to create Excel file programmatically:
- Create a new C# Xamarin.Forms application project.
- Select a project template and required platforms to deploy the application. In this application the portable assemblies to be shared across multiple platforms, the .NET Standard code sharing strategy has been selected. For more details about code sharing refer here.
Note: If .NET Standard is not available in the code sharing strategy, the Portable Class Library (PCL) can be selected.
- Install Syncfusion.Xamarin.XlsIO NuGet package as a reference to the .NET Standard project in your Xamarin applications from NuGet.org.
- Add new Forms XAML page in portable project If there is no XAML page is defined in the App class. Otherwise proceed to the next step.
- To add the new XAML page, right click on the project and select Add > New Item and add a Forms XAML Page from the list. Name it as MainXamlPage.
- In App class of portable project (App.cs), replace the existing constructor of App class with the code snippet given below which invokes the MainXamlPage.
- In the MainXamlPage.xaml add new button as shown below.
- Include the following namespace in the MainXamlPage.xaml.cs file.
- Include the below code snippet in the click event of the button in MainXamlPage.xaml.cs, to create an Excel file and save it in a stream.
- Download the helper files from this link and add them into the mentioned project. These helper files allow you to save the stream as a physical file and open the file for viewing.
Represent the base interface for save operation
Save implementation for iOS device
Helper class for viewing the Excel file in iOS device
Save implementation for Android device
Save implementation for Windows phone device
Save implementation for UWP device.
Save implementation for WinRT device.
- Compile and execute the application. Now this application creates a simple Excel document.
By executing the program, you will get the Excel file as follows.
A complete working sample can be downloaded from Create-Excel-file.zip.
Take a moment to peruse the documentation, where you can find basic worksheet data manipulation options along with features like Conditional Formatting, worksheet calculations through Formulas, adding Charts in worksheet or workbook, organizing and analyzing data through Tables and Pivot Tables, appending multiple records to worksheet using Template Markers, and most importantly PDF and Image conversions etc. with code examples.
Refer here to explore the rich set of Syncfusion Essential XlsIO features.
An online sample link to generate Excel file.
Create a Excel file in ASP.NET MVC
Create a Excel file in ASP.NET Core
Create a Excel file in Windows Forms
Create a Excel file in WPF
Starting with v16.2.0.x, if you reference Syncfusion assemblies from trial setup or from the NuGet feed, include a license key in your projects. Refer to link to learn about generating and registering Syncfusion license key in your application to use the components without trail message.