PowerPoint presentation is a file format that allows you to create and show a series of slides containing text, shapes, charts, images and SmartArt diagrams with rich set of formatting options to make your presentation more attractive and memorable.
Syncfusion Essential Presentation is a .NET PowerPoint library used to create, open, read, and edit PowerPoint presentations. Using this library, you can start creating a PowerPoint file in Xamarin.
Steps to create a PowerPoint presentation file:
- Create a new C# Xamarin.Forms application project.
- Select a project template and required platforms to deploy the application. In this application the portable assemblies to be shared across multiple platforms, the .NET Standard code sharing strategy has been selected. For more details about code sharing refer here.
- Install Syncfusion.Xamarin.Presentation NuGet package as a reference to the .NET Standard project in your Xamarin applications from NuGet.org.
- Add new Forms XAML page in portable project If there is no XAML page is defined in the App class. Otherwise proceed to the next step.
- To add the new XAML page, right click on the project and select Add > New Item and add a Forms XAML Page from the list. Name it as MainXamlPage.
- In App class of portable project (App.cs), replace the existing constructor of App class with the code snippet given below which invokes the MainXamlPage.
// The root page of your application
MainPage = new MainXamlPage();
- In the MainXamlPage.xaml add new button as shown below.
<Button Text="Generate Document" Clicked="OnButtonClicked" HorizontalOptions="Center"/>
- Include the following namespace in the MainXamlPage.xaml.cs file.
- Include the below code snippet in the click event of the button in MainXamlPage.xaml.cs, to create an PowerPoint file and save it in a stream.
//Create a new PowerPoint presentation
IPresentation powerpointDoc = Presentation.Create();
//Add a blank slide to the presentation
ISlide slide = powerpointDoc.Slides.Add(SlideLayoutType.Blank);
//Add a textbox to the slide
IShape shape = slide.AddTextBox(10, 10, 500, 100);
//Add a text to the textbox.
//Save the PowerPoint to stream in pptx format.
MemoryStream stream = new MemoryStream();
//Save the stream as a file in the device and invoke it for viewing
Xamarin.Forms.DependencyService.Get<ISave>().SaveAndView("GettingStared.pptx", "application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation", stream);
- Download the helper files from this link and add them into the mentioned project. These helper files allow you to save the stream as a physical file and open the file for viewing.
Represent the base interface for save operation
Save implementation for iOS device
Helper class for viewing the PowerPoint file in iOS device
Save implementation for Android device
Save implementation for UWP device.
- Compile and execute the application.
By executing the program, you will get the PowerPoint document as follows.
A complete working sample can be downloaded from Create-PowerPoint-file.zip.
Take a moment to peruse the documentation, where you can find other options to format the text with code examples.
Refer here to explore the rich set of Syncfusion Essential Presentation features.
Create a PowerPoint file in ASP.NET MVC
Create a PowerPoint file in ASP.NET
Create a PowerPoint file in Windows Forms
Create a PowerPoint file in WPF
Starting with v16.2.0.x, if you reference Syncfusion assemblies from trial setup or from the NuGet feed, include a license key in your projects. Refer to link to learn about generating and registering Syncfusion license key in your application to use the components without trail message.