We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

TabStops not available when using <Text = "";> ?

Hi,

I'd like to modify the Text property of my EditControl using something like this :

myEditControl.Text = "myText \t myText myT \t myT ";

But tabstops seem not to be respected (UseTabStops is true. UseTabs is true too and TabStopsArray = new int[] {8,16,...};) whereas when I use the tab button to modify the text manually (not in the code) tabstops are applied.

In both cases the TextChanging event is called.

How can I apply tabstops in the first case ?

Thanks !

M.C.

22 Replies

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team July 10, 2008 01:25 PM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

TabStops property does not work as expected when setting Tab using '\t' in EditControl's text

We suspect this issue to be a defect. We have sent this to our developers for more analysis. We will update you on or before July 14th 2008.

Please let me know if any concerns.

Regards,
Fathima

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team July 14, 2008 01:21 PM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

The issue "TabStops property does not work as expected when setting Tab using '\t' in EditControl's text" is confirmed as a defect and our developers are working on fixing this issue with high priority. The fix for the defect is expected to be available on August 4th 2008 and will get back to you on the same day with more details.

Regards,
Fathima

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 6, 2008 06:08 AM UTC

Hi,

Sorry for the delay response.

Our developers are working on fixing this issue with high priority. The fix for the defect is expected to be available on Augest 26th 2008 and will get back to you on the same day with more details.

Regards,
Hema

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 8, 2008 12:14 PM UTC

Hi,

I'm still interested in this bugfix. I'd like this to be fixed as soon as possible.

How will I be able to get and install your "patch" ?
Will we need to upgrade our Syncfusion (I mean to pay for) ? I think I'm using the 4.102.0.50 version of Syncfusion.Edit.Windows.

Thank you.
Regards,

M.C.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 11, 2008 11:16 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Our developers are working on fixing this issue with high priority. We will analysis the possibility to provide the patch for 4.102.0.50 version, once the issue is fixed.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Hema

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 20, 2008 03:20 PM UTC

Hi,

I've also seen another problem using TabStops:
White spaces are used to reach the next tabstop if the space is inferior than the space between the TabStopsArray's members. This problem isn't when UseTabStops = false.

Example:

I write:
"ROLL {
[NAME\t\tCALENDAR\tWEIGHTS\t\tCUSTOM]
[DEFAULT\t(1BD,1,4)\tLINEAR\t\tNONE]
};"

And in fact the text value is not this but:
"ROLL {
[NAME \tCALENDAR\tWEIGHTS \tCUSTOM]
[DEFAULT (1BD,1,4) LINEAR \tNONE]
};"

Configuration:
- UseTabStops = true;
- TabStopsArray = 4, 8, 12, 16, ...

I thought TabStops were just something about appearance, but in fact, in this case, they change typed chars...

Is this "normal" ?

Thank you.

M.C.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 20, 2008 03:23 PM UTC

[EDIT]
Example (replace "_" by 1 white space):

I write:
"ROLL_{
};"

And in fact the text value is not this but:
"ROLL_{
[NAME__\tCALENDAR\tWEIGHTS_\tCUSTOM]
[DEFAULT___(1BD,1,4)___LINEAR__\tNONE]
};"

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team August 25, 2008 08:42 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I am afraid that I am not able to reproduce the mentioned issue. I have set the following edit control's test as follows:

this.editControl1.Text = "ROLL_{[NAME\t\tCALENDAR\tWEIGHTS\t\tCUSTOM][DEFAULT\t(1BD,1,4)\tLINEAR\t\tNONE]};";

At run time I could see the following text as expected in Edit Control:

ROLL_{
[NAME CALENDAR WEIGHTS CUSTOM]
[DEFAULT (1BD,1,4) LINEAR NONE]
};

Please refer the following sample in the given link:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Edit/F75033/main.htm

If I am missing anything, could you please let me know in detail of your requirement, so that I could work out in depth and provide you a better solution at the earliest?

Regards,
Fathima

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 25, 2008 08:56 AM UTC

Hi,

This second problem doesn't exist when you "write" the text using .Text = "...";

It's only when you manually type the text in the EditControl.

You can see that white spaces are used instead of tabs by setting :
EditControl.ShowWhitespaces = true;

M.C.

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team August 26, 2008 11:49 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

When setting ShowWhiteSpaces property to true the white spaces are replaced with default indicators as explained here.

1) Single Spaces are indicated using dots.

2) Tabs are indicated using right arrows.

3) Line Feeds are indicated using a special line feed symbol.

So it is default behaviour only. Please refer the following documenatation link for more details:

http://www2.syncfusion.com/ug_63/edit/WhiteSpaceDisplay.html

Regards,
Fathima

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 4, 2008 11:13 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry, for not being clear enough. I am not confused by the displayed chars for invisible chars.
The problem is the same if I use .WhiteSpaceIndicators.SpaceChar = "\t"; => I got three "\t" instead of the only one I should have.

The fact is when you MANUALLY write:
"ROLL{
[NAMECALENDARWEIGHTSCUSTOM]
[DEFAULT(1BD,1,4)LINEARNONE]
};"

Whether .UseTabStops is true or false, and whatever .TabStopsArray is, .TEXT property should be:
(To be more explicit white space are replaced by "_")

"ROLL_{
};"

Because UseTabStops and TabStopsArray should only affect displayed text and not change the TEXT value.
BUT, when using .UseTabStops = TRUE and .TabStopsArray = 4, 8, 12, 16,... the TEXT VALUE is not what you've written but this:

"ROLL_{
[NAME__\tCALENDAR\tWEIGHTS_\tCUSTOM]
[DEFAULT___(1BD,1,4)___LINEAR__\tNONE]
};"

Consequently, displaying options affects the TEXT VALUE in your component, which is not the case with others components.
And of course I'd like to avoid this comportment.
It seems very strange to me and I'm pretty sure that's a bug.

M.C.

PS: What about the bugfix for the first bug ?

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team September 23, 2008 12:32 PM UTC

Hi,

1) TabStops affects the WhiteSpaces display:

I am afarid that I was not much clear about the issue that you are mentioning here. Please have a look at the below sample:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Edit/F75033_1/main.htm

I could see the difference in the display between text given in the Text and when it is typed at the runtime. Is this the issue that your are mentioning. If not could you please modify the above sample that clearly describes the issue and send me so that I could sort out the cause of the issue and provide me a better solution?

2) TabStops property does not work as expected when setting Tab using '\t' in EditControl's text:

Our developers are working on fixing this issue with high priority. The fix for the defect is expected to be available on or before October 10th 2008. I will getback to you on the same day with more details.

Regards,
Fathima

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team September 23, 2008 12:32 PM UTC

Hi,

I am afarid that I was not much clear about the issue that you are mentioning here. Please have a look at the below sample:

I could see the difference in the display between text given in the Text and when it is typed at the runtime. Is this the issue that your are mentioning. If not could you please modify the above sample that clearly describes the issue and send me so that I could sort out the cause of the issue and provide me a better solution?

2) TabStops property does not work as expected when setting Tab using '\t' in EditControl's text:

Our developers are working on fixing this issue with high priority. The fix for the defect is expected to be available on or before October 10th 2008. I will getback to you on the same day with more details.

Regards,
Fathima

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team September 23, 2008 12:33 PM UTC

Hi,

Regards,
Fathima

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team September 23, 2008 12:45 PM UTC

Hi,

Regards,
Fathima

BH Brian Hublein September 29, 2009 06:15 PM UTC

Has this been fixed yet?

NR Nandakumar R Syncfusion Team October 5, 2009 05:04 AM UTC

Hi Brian,

This issue has not been fixed yet and we have planned this for the Essential Studio 2009. Vol.4 refresh release. I will get back to you once this issue is fixed in the version.

This is expected to be available by the middle of December 2009.

Regards,
Nanda

BH Brian Hublein October 7, 2009 11:13 AM UTC

Thanks

NR Nandakumar R Syncfusion Team October 13, 2009 09:34 AM UTC

Thanks Brian.

Regards,
Nanda

BH Brian Hublein October 21, 2009 01:42 PM UTC

Nanda,

Is there any way I get get an early version of this as a beta. We want to release around the end of the year and I need to know if your fix is going to work for me. If not I'll have to modify the control myself as I have the source code. Please let me know soon.

Thanks,
Brian Hublein
Cyberlogic

BH Brian Hublein October 27, 2009 03:07 PM UTC

Can I get an answer?

Thanks,
Brian Hublein
Cyberlogic

NR Nandakumar R Syncfusion Team November 3, 2009 10:12 AM UTC

Hi Brian,

We are still working on fixing this issue. The fix has been planned to be included after the final release of the Vol.4. I will get back to you once the fix for this is available.

Regards,
Nanda

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon