We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

community version, open source, research purpose

Hi, I am a research fellow in a university. Our research group is going to develop a free, open source tool which helps users build up intelligent systems. This is a research project, which is mainly conducted by 4 researchers. If this project is successful, some companies/inviduals might use our tool. In this case, am I allowed to use the syncfusion community for development?

Thanks!

3 Replies

JV Jaclyn Vidusic Syncfusion Team June 3, 2019 09:35 PM UTC

In order to allow Syncfusion to be used in an open-source project we would need to put a Master License Agreement (MLA) in place. The Master License Agreement would have certain limitations.    
These limitations include, but are not limited to:   
1.      There would be a requirement that you make it clear, in a license, to anyone obtaining your code, that they need to independently obtain dependencies (our product) from us whether under a community, commercial or other license.   
2.     You will not be able to distribute our binaries as part of the open source project.  
3.     The project can only be licensed under MIT, Apache, or BSD. The project could not be licensed under GPL or similar licenses. 
A full list of limitations will be set forth in the Master License Agreement. If this works for you and your team, please let me know and I will start drafting the Agreement.   
Best Regards, 

Jaclyn Vidusic

In-House Counsel  

PS Peizhi Shi June 3, 2019 10:20 PM UTC

Dear Jaclyn,

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. It works for me and my team. 

What shall I do next? Can I download syncfusion community and start development now?

Thanks again!

PS Peizhi Shi replied to Jaclyn Vidusic June 3, 2019 10:22 PM UTC

In order to allow Syncfusion to be used in an open-source project we would need to put a Master License Agreement (MLA) in place. The Master License Agreement would have certain limitations.    
These limitations include, but are not limited to:   
1.      There would be a requirement that you make it clear, in a license, to anyone obtaining your code, that they need to independently obtain dependencies (our product) from us whether under a community, commercial or other license.   
2.     You will not be able to distribute our binaries as part of the open source project.  
3.     The project can only be licensed under MIT, Apache, or BSD. The project could not be licensed under GPL or similar licenses. 
A full list of limitations will be set forth in the Master License Agreement. If this works for you and your team, please let me know and I will start drafting the Agreement.   
Best Regards, 

Jaclyn Vidusic

In-House Counsel  

Dear Jaclyn,

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. It works for me and my team. 

What shall I do next? Can I download syncfusion community and start development now?

Thanks again!

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon