We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Is GridControl status "Classic", compare performance with SFDataGrid

Hi, I need to choose between using GridControl  and SFDataGrid for a new stock market data application.

Is DataGrid moving to "Classic Status", meaning it will be phased out eventually? Its extensions, GridTreeControl and GridDataControl, are explicitly listed as Classic status, but I do not see if GridControl itself is Classic status or not.

I realize that the difference between GridControl and SFDataGrid is that SFDataGrid supports full binding, but I do not particularly care whether I use data binding or not.  I can code it either way, depending on which supports the higher performance.

Is it still the case that GridControl gives better performance for large arrays of numbers (stock prices) that does SFDataGrid?   Or is SFDataGrid just as fast now?  

Actually in my case I will have maybe 2000 cells in the grid, so it is not really all that large, but I would like it to reload and reload and update as fast as possible.   

Which should I use, GridControl or SFDataGrid, if I am flexible to use data binding or not, and do not care about fancy features?  Thanks.

3 Replies

SV Srinivasan Vasu Syncfusion Team July 4, 2017 04:12 PM UTC

Hi Don, 

GridControl extension GridDataControl and GridTreeControl marked as classic since cell oriented architecture not able to meet certain binding and extensibility requirement of WPF. So we developed SfDataGrid and SfTreeGrid as alternate for GridDataControl and GridTreeControl and marked it as classic. Our GridControl follows the cell oriented architecture which is designed to meet unique requirements that can’t be achieved using data-bound DataGrid’s. GridControl is not a classic control and we are continuing to providing support. 

Regarding performance: 

If you are looking for best performance with more number of cells and real-time updates, I would suggest you to use SfDataGrid. Since we added more features to meet performance requirement for various scenarios. Please refer the below links, 

Refer below article which has sample, 

Regards,
Srinivasan 

DB Don Brady July 4, 2017 06:54 PM UTC

Hi Srinivasan,

Thank you very much for the very timely advice!

I will use SfDataGrid then.

Regards,

Don

SV Srinivasan Vasu Syncfusion Team July 5, 2017 02:08 AM UTC

Hi Don, 

Thanks for your update. 

Please let us know if you need further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Srinivasan 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon