We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Error "Unreadable Content" while opening excel file

Hi,

I am creating excel file from datatable using  worksheet.ImportDataTable(dtExport, True, 1, 1, True) method. But we have some non printable character (ASCII value is 6,10,20,21,22,23,24,25 and 26 etc) in our database. Excel file is created successfully but when trying to open it giving error "Unreadable content" and after clicking yes giving illegal xml character.  But when we are directly  copy content to excel file and save then open ms excel not giving any error. 

I am attaching demo project having excel file in temp folder.  We are using 6.402.0.15 version of syncfusion dll.

So is there any way to fix this issue.

Please help me out 

Thanks in advance.

Attachment: ExcelDemo_cfa93051.zip

5 Replies

SS Sridhar Sukumar Syncfusion Team March 8, 2017 11:58 AM UTC

Hi Gaurav, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support. 

We are able to reproduce the issue and it has been fixed in our latest version 15.1. We strongly recommend you to upgrade to our latest version (15.1.0.37) of Essential Studio which has more improvements and enhancements which is available for download under the following link. 

Please let us know if you have any concern. 

Regards, 
Sridhar S. 

GS gaurav singh March 8, 2017 03:10 PM UTC

Hi Sridhar,

Thanks for your response. 

I just want to ask  Is there another way to handle this issue without upgrading syncfusion dlls?

Thanks. 

ZO ZorroOP April 16, 2021 10:26 AM UTC

I went through attached demo project and I can confirm that this is a type of corruption that is usually  seen the  MS Excel. 

Here are the work around we can try in such cases:

1) If your Excel spreadsheet contains valuable data you can Make the Excel File ‘Read-only’:

• Click on File from the main menu In Excel,
  • Next, select Save for new document or Save As for previously saved document.
  • From the ‘Save As’ dialog box, click Tools > General Options.
  • Click on the ‘read-only’ checkbox and then click OK.
  • Open a new and blank '.xlsx' file and copy everything from the corrupt Excel file’
  • Save this file and try to open it again.

2) You can also Install Visual Basic Component

• Navigate to Control Panel > Programs > select Microsoft Office 2010.
  • Click Change, and then select Add or Remove Programs.
  • Next, click the 'plus' sign provided next to Office Shared Features. 
  • Click Visual Basic for Applications. After that, right-click and choose Run from My Computer, and hit the Continue button.
  • Reboot your system when this process finishes.
  • Now check if the issue has been resolved or not.

3) You can get help using the third party software solely created for Data recovery of corrupted/ partially corrupted Excel files. While going through more such queries, I stumbled on this which is closely related yours and the solution works.

ED edwards June 12, 2021 01:07 PM UTC

Commonly it is seen “We found a problem with some content in FileName.xlsx” appears to the users due to System file corruption and this affect the office files.  So try repairing it

You can also try to recover the data from the Excel file by making it read-only

·        Open Excel workbook in ‘read-only’ mode > try copying its entire contents.

·        Now create a new workbook > paste the entire contents from the corrupted file to the new file.

FOR MOR FIXES PLEASE CHECK THIS POST: We Found A Problem With Some Content In Excel 

PC Prashansha Chaurasia March 30, 2022 04:06 AM UTC

Hello, 

You can follow the steps mentioned in the below article for repairing your corrupted excel file: 

https://www.stellarinfo.com/article/excel-found-unreadable-content-in-filename-xlsx-error.php 

Best Regards,

Prashansha

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon